please dont yell at me but

wife and I will be buying a house in Freeport Fl. in the NW part of state is there any bass fishing aroiund Freeport and Defuniak Springs or do I hve to sell my like new 2015 Ranger and learn to fish that big saltwater bay Thanks guys for your time.

2. Member
    Lake Seminole
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

Oh hell, we don't care about over there , that's LA, Lower Alabama.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Lake Talquin also.

You should be about 90 minutes from Talquin, and Seminole and less than 3 hours from Eufala. The chain lakes are a haul but that still gives you some options.

6. Member
    Your also not too far from the Alabama River. It's different but has good fishing.

I'd fish for Red's and Trout!!

8. Member
    Thanks for toe replys guys (I mean it) I thinking about selling boat and buy one for that big bay and learn to fish for trout and reds but at my age I dont know if its worth it hate to give up fishing its keeps me sane after 50 years of marriage

9. Member
    You have Kings lake, lake Holly, juniper lake around Defuniak Springs. They are smaller lakes mostly under 800 acres but they are known for big fish. The choctawhatchee River is in ebro 20 miles east of you. These are not big lakes but they are close by you. Fishing on the choctawhatchee can be ok if you learn to fish it. The bigger lakes are stated above by the other guys.

Deer point lake , is not far. Choctawhatchee river , Apalachicola river , Dead lakes.
    Plenty of inshore fishing around Freeport , blackened redfish is fine eating.

11. Member
    the lakes arounr Defuniak are they electric only and can I launch a glass boat?Is theriver fresh water bass fishing?

12. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Eufaula?
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

Talquin will eat your lower unit if you are not careful. I would push to Seminole or Eufaula.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

14. Member
    I live 30 minutes from Freeport. Fish the Choctawhatchee all the time. Not bad once you learn it. Appalachicola River isn’t too far plus all the other lakes that have been mentioned. Feel free to DM me if you have questions about any of these places.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

15. Member
    Actually Freeport is almost on where the Choctawhatchee River enters the bay. Numerous bass tournaments are held out of Black Creek and the bass fishing is pretty good. Not likely to catch any ten pounders but plenty of quality fish right around there. Also there are lots of sloughs off the main river and bayous and smaller smaller creeks dumping into the bay that hold bass. The bay around there while it is brackish water isn't all that salty. Your boat will be fine in the river up to around highway 20 once you learn how to get around but above 20 it get s pretty dicey when the water is down. The bay has plenty of trout and reds and is pretty safe to run but be careful getting out of the river mouths and stay away from the shoreline until you learn it. I think it will be a great place to live, small laid back little town though growing fast but plenty of things to do and great shopping and dining just a few minutes away in Destin. Seminole, Deer Point, Talquin or Eufaula are relatively near. The tournament scene locally is only so so with the exception of Sem and Eufaula but there are several small trails available. PM me if I can help.

16. Member
    try trout n reds. You might enjoy it....
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

17. Member
    Lake Juniper in Defuniak Springs is a good lake too and close to home

18. Member
    Thanks guys , everyone has been more then helpful

I live nearby and Freeport is a regular stop for me but I think I'd keep the Ranger and buy a small center console for saltwater inshore. There's some great speckled trout, redfish and flounder holes in Choctawhatchee Bay near Freeport and my favorite ramp is on Four Mile Creek. For Sweetwater, Eufaula, Seminole, Dead Lakes, Ocheesee Pond, and others already mentioned are productive lakes but the smaller lakes around Defuniak get a lot of pressure imo.. The Chattahoochee river is another great spot for largemouth, hybrids and stripes. Morrison Springs is on the
    Choctawhatchee between Defuniak and Ponce de Leon. It holds some HUGE bass but it's actually a cave diving site as is Vortex Springs in the same area. The water is crystal clear and you can sneak in there from the river.
    Keep the Ranger and shoot me an email when you get moved in and I'll show you around the bay in my boat then you can decide what to do.
    04 Sea Pro SV2100cc w/ Suzuki DF150
    02 Scout 162 Sportfisher w/ Yamaha 60