Thread: Senko rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Senko rod

I'm starting to do a little more specializing with my rods/reels. One bait I use a decent amount is a weightless Texas-rigged senko and a weightless Texas-rigged fat Ika. I'm looking for a rod under $250 for this, since I don't feel like sensitivity is paramount (I've been using them with a Megabass Levante Spinnerbait Special and have had no problem with detecting bites). I'd like to stick with something 7'2" or shorter since I value accuracy over casting distance most of the time.

Tackle trap has the Tatula Elite 7ft m/mh xtrafast Bret Ehler rod for 225, it's what I'm using with a metanium mgl, great for skipping also.The ags guides are nice also.

3. Member
    Honestly I'm trying to stay away from an extra fast. It's weird because I have used my Steez AGS 7'1" MH xtra fast, which is my jig and T-rig rod (and I love it for those things), and it works ok, but for whatever reason I actually prefer a slower action for senkos and fat ikas. The Megabass rod I mentioned in my original post has a medium fast taper and I like that a lot better than the extra fast for those baits.

4. Member
    do you prefer slower or just a rod with a more limber tip? The 2 senko rods I own (1 spinning and 1 casting) are both labeled xfast but the tips are limber which is by design I guess to sling a weightless rig a long way. I fish braid most of the time with no leader so don't fish any stretchy lines.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Soo... are you looking for a casting rod or a spinning rod?

Jake Whitaker fished a wacky senko the whole Elite tournament on an ENOX Wizard and an IKOS Soul 7. I personally really like (and have more experience with) the ZOLO Maestro on stick worms.

For casting, we designed the ZOLO Mitch specifically for senkos on Santee Cooper - lots of shooting/skipping around docks and under cypress tree limbs.

6. Member
    I'm no expert but I thought you wanted a lot of sensitivity for weightless senko?

7. Banned
    I do ! Conquest 843

8. Member
    I'm looking for a casting rod. I'm sure sensitivity is important, but from my experience I've always been able to detect strikes just as easily with a medium-level rod as with a high end rod when it comes to senkos. For me, a senko bite almost always comes on the fall and is much more of a pronounced thump than a subtle jig or T-rig bite on the bottom. For that reason, jigs and T-rigs are a different category for me and I want a super sensitive rod for those things. That's exactly why I got the Steez AGS rod for jigs and T-rigs. But for me, I've just had better luck with hookups on a slower action rod when using senkos.

9. Member
    Heck i have been using plain old BPS MH 7' fast tip Carbonlite rods for 10 years now for Senkos and plastic and they work just fine on the tidal Potomac. Always buy on sale for $100. Fish all day and no sore old wrists. Real light and no failures. The new 2.0 if really nice.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    I'm looking for a casting rod. I'm sure sensitivity is important, but from my experience I've always been able to detect strikes just as easily with a medium-level rod as with a high end rod when it comes to senkos. For me, a senko bite almost always comes on the fall and is much more of a pronounced thump than a subtle jig or T-rig bite on the bottom. For that reason, jigs and T-rigs are a different category for me and I want a super sensitive rod for those things. That's exactly why I got the Steez AGS rod for jigs and T-rigs. But for me, I've just had better luck with hookups on a slower action rod when using senkos.
    I'm old Corey... need all the help I can get! I use the 843 for smaller jigs too

11. Member
    I get a lot of senko bites where the line just goes slightly slack or I don't feel anything until I pull up. That's why I think sensitivity is important. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs expensive rods- carbonlites are damn good rods. I just find fishing weightless senkos to be one of the more delicate matters.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    I get a lot of senko bites where the line just goes slightly slack or I don't feel anything until I pull up. That's why I think sensitivity is important. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs expensive rods- carbonlites are damn good rods. I just find fishing weightless senkos to be one of the more delicate matters.
    The bass in Iowa must eat a senko a little different than they do in Illinois because I can't recall the last time I had a fish bite a senko without a pronounced thump. Then again, I also use straight braid, which helps with sensitivity. Thanks

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    I'm old Corey... need all the help I can get! I use the 843 for smaller jigs too
    An 843 is one of the rods on my wish list right now. I had a GLX 844 MBR and I could see how that MBR taper would be good for senkos. I'm just not wanting to spend that kind of money at the moment.

14. Member
    [QUOTE=coreynov902;10854452]I can't recall the last time I had a fish bite a senko without a pronounced thump. /QUOTE]

Mabye you are only feeling the more aggressive bites? I never know what bites I am missing because, by definition, I missed them. I guess that's a little philosophical!

15. Member
    That's a very good point. I guess I wouldn't know if I"m missing bites if I'm not feeling them to begin with. Maybe a little philosophical, but absolutely correct.

I use a Skeet Reese 7' rod with a Calais reel and 17# Trilene XL in Hi Vis blue. Most of the time, I will use a Tiny Water Gremlin pinch on sinker that I attached to the line. When I am coming over a hole in the grass, I'll stop and it will sink slowly into the opening without a sharp nose dive a larger weight would cause.

17. Member
    An 843 is one of the rods on my wish list right now. I had a GLX 844 MBR and I could see how that MBR taper would be good for senkos. I'm just not wanting to spend that kind of money at the moment.
    Expride 6'10" M.... works great for wacky rigged senko's... and certainly cheaper than the 843. I use 16# Sniper FC and it makes for a super sensitive set up. Rod loads great for casting and sweeping hook sets.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbabin76 View Post
    Expride 6'10" M.... works great for wacky rigged senko's... and certainly cheaper than the 843. I use 16# Sniper FC and it makes for a super sensitive set up. Rod loads great for casting and sweeping hook sets.
    Not sure why I never thought about that rod, especially since I have the 7'2 MH Glass Expride and it's probably my favorite or second favorite rod. Those expride's really look and fish above their price point.

19. Member
    Not sure why I never thought about that rod, especially since I have the 7'2 MH Glass Expride and it's probably my favorite or second favorite rod. Those expride's really look and fish above their price point.
    It's my go to for weightless senko's... It just flat out works great for that technique

Second place goes to the Kistler Z-Bone 7' LMH or the KLX/H3 in medium power.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

20. Member
    A Falcon Tara T7. Weightless worm ser. Very sensitive but just a little slower reaction. When you pick one up your going think it’s to light in till you set the hook on a good one then it really shines .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast