Thread: newer boat

newer boat

If you guys went to get a newer boat and are planning on keeping it for 15 plus years how new would you look for, i new one is out of the question looking for used. Would you think 2010 or newer. what do you think

2. Member
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Really depends on budget, but 2015s are pretty well priced now, but you might need to invest in the cheap ones with new electronics. But still lot of good things then, I believe HDS2 were out, the Fortrex, etc.

If you go 2010, I think hull will be fine for most brands, pretty much everyone was all fiberglass/composite transoms by then, but will start having small issues with motors, bilge/livewell pumps, and other accessories will be out of date (if original)
    Bob's Machine - Action Series Jack Plates - DeckPlugs - DeckSavers - QuickSlip - The Big D Trolling motor handle - Much more!
    www.bobsmachine.com

4. Member
    I’d say 2015. It all depends on the shape that it is in and how it was taken care of. If you maintain it, the boat itself will last a long time, but the motor on the other hand may or may not.

5. Member
    i am having a hard time finding something newer with a 200 or 225, dont really need a 250 on a 20 foot boat in the small lakes and back water of lake erie

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    That’s a tough one, Nathan. Since the 20-21 footer with a 250 has become *the* tournament rig, there are tons of those for sale every year and not very many clean, low-hours 19 footers. To answer your initial question, to keep a boat 15 years at this point I would be looking at 4 or 5 year-old boats, as others have said. Some of those even have some warranty remaining, which is very helpful. Even 6 months warranty gives you a little time to make sure the engine isn’t hurt. After that, with good maintenance and some care in how you run it, most outboards will last a long time with minimal repair.

Note: You may have seen these, but there are at least 4 119/519 Rangers for sale on the BBC listing for 2008-2015 Rangers. That’s a good hull with a 225. They’re priced from $30-40K in that year range.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 02-10-2020 at 11:20 AM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. Member
    How much wiggle room do you think dealers have on sticker price on a used boat

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    20-30%

9. Member
    What price range are you looking at? Budget?
    This will expand or limit the year of rigs you can afford.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Pardon my cynicism, but if a dealer shows readiness to give a significant discount [20% or more] on their list price for a used boat, especially this time of year, I’d be extra careful, because good used rigs are like platinum hen’s teeth in the spring. The best deals, from a purely monetary perspective, often are on a boat/motor brand that the dealer in question does not sell new. Kind of like buying a used Ford pickup from the Chevy dealer. Our closest Ranger dealer, Knox Marine, has had some great buys on older Champions or Bass Cats in the past couple of years, but when they get a clean used Ranger, typically that boat isn’t on the lot long enough to need discounting.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

11. Member
    From my recent experience buying a boat, at least the dealers I went to visit with were MUCH more hesitant to engage in some haggling than I would have expected. I definitely didn't see any used boats that the dealer would have come down 30% on. Unfortunately, the insane credit bubble driving the new boat prices is driving the used boat prices too. With how much the cost of a new boat has gone up, dealers can basically ask 90% of original MSRP on a used boat and it sounds reasonable because prices have gone up 10-20% for the exact same model.

From a purely, "what year should I buy" perspective, if you're looking at one boat for 10-15 years, buy the absolute newest boat you possibly can afford with the absolute least amount of hours on the engine. The "unicorn" you're looking for is a 2014-2015 you can buy off some old dude who bought it for pleasure in '14-15 and never used it much because of declining health or whatever.
    2020 Triton TRX189 B B W
    Mercury ProXS 150 I B O
    Garmin EchoMAP Plus (2x) G A L
    Toyota 4Runner D F

What’s your budget? THat would help with suggestions
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

13. Member
    I have it in my head 5 years old is max if putting out good coin....also I would be looking for one with some engine warranty left for at least a year. I would also get one that has any extras that I want already in place (ultrex/poles or talons/decent graphs)...

He sounds like me...Budget is flexible and it depends entirely on the boat year, make, model, and condition.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

It's not about what year it is...it's about which boat has the less sun faded plastic crap on it.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassbuster95 View Post
    20-30%
    Dealers wish they made that much on bassboats.

17. Banned
    I'd be more concerned about condition over year.

I've seen some 10+ year old boats that look showroom new. And less than 5 year old boats that look like the owner washed it with concrete and wore razor blade embedded pants.

18. Banned
    In 2016 I picked up a 2013 ranger with 18 hrs on it. The opti started giving me som trouble so I repowered with a Yamaha. I started looking at new boats and the cost wasn't worth it. I sold my opti for a good price and picked up a new non current Yamaha for great price with 6 years of warranty. The total cost to up grade was 7 grand all said and done. If I sold my ranger for good price I would have needed to add $30 grand for a good used boat. Not worth it, these boat prices are out of contention control.