Boat wont get on plane

93 150xr6(Ser#OD122853)Just cleaned carbs and new gaskets...Ran last weekend and was fine but went to adjust idle up a couple hundred RPMS to around 650 and now wont get on plain..ughhhh Idles fine when on trailer backed into water it revs fine buy once off trailer and try to run falls on face wont get on pad and gets hard to start back up!!!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Did you perform a complete Sync-n-Link Procedure?

What is the IDLE TIMING set at?

WOT Timing Set at?

Was it really idling at 450 last weekend?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Nope!Guess I should..Did another compression and spark test.

4. Member
    Is there a Marine Timing light i need to use?

Just any timing light, can rent from an auto parts store pretty cheap
    1999 ProGator 190V
    200 Mercury EFI 0G843298

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In addition to a timing light, you will need a Dial Indicator Setup so that you can properly set the timing pointer. This is the first (and perhaps most important) step.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Sounds like ill have to BOAThousand and yake to a shop!!lol

8. Member
    Jay Smith offers a dial indicator if you decide to go that route. http://www.jaysmithracing.com/

9. Member
    Not having any luck finding the settings for idle and WOT?

Before you touch anything, you need to buy a mercury service Manuel for your specific motor, no online stuff or clymars and do some homework. I cant stress this enough. This is no lawn mower motor you are working on
    In my workplace The others know I can give them quick easy answers, What I do is direct them to the service manuals for their answers and force them to look it up, then I will clarify and explain further as needed.
    While finding their answer they learn many other things in the process
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatSabreDon View Post
    Sounds like ill have to BOAThousand and yake to a shop!!lol
    A genuine factory service manual will run you about $100, provide you with ALL the information you need so you don't have to take to a shop for something you can do yourself. Frequently say it's the best $100 you'll ever spend on your engine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +++3. When I was starting out as an apprentice, the absolute best thing that I learned was where the file cabinet full of service manuals was located, and how to find information in the correct manual. I learned 3 times as much that way... and retained a LOT more of the information.

13. Member
    Watching this.....
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 02-13-2020 at 10:10 AM. Reason: One Engine per Thread

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayloncat View Post
    Watching this. My 97 XR6 (0G529435) started doing the exact same thing while testing out a new prop. Ran perfect for 20 mins or so, then lost power at WOT. Limped back to the ramp. Like you said, idles and revs fine but just wont push a load. My mechanic suspects something around the stator, trigger ect. I'll post results after I get the fix.
    Just be sure to open a separate thread (one engine per post/thread per forum Announcements).