Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am becoming a champion owner

Hello everyone. I am new to the boards and Im in the process of buying my first glass boat and coming out of a 99 tracker. Im getting an 04 188 elite with an evinrude 200 DI. Model # E200FPLSRB SER. # 03041676 I wont be taking possesion until this weekend but am looking for dome advice.

On the test drive we could only get 5300 rpm @ 62mph gps. That is what the owner told me was normal for him. Ive been reading alot about this boat engine combo and seams on the slow side to me. Some guys getting high 60s- low 70s. Well not slow as its twice as fast as the tracker. Haha

There is a manual jackplate and 25 pitch SS prop. I apologize I dont remember the brand but I believe its an "off" brand.
    I did a measurement of P2P in his garage and its 4-4 1/2"
    From everything I have read here that seems pretty low. Im looking for a starting point to put it for the next time I can get out.

Thanks in advance for any recomendations

Hmm:

Cool and welcome to the family but you didn't say anything about the pre inspection information of the engine.

Myself I wouldn't fund an unknown item. Now it may be a setup or prop issue but I wouldn't ASSUME!

(((((Before cash has changed hands))))). Find your own good place to have them do a pre purchase inspection that includes at least 5 things.

#1 Check for fault codes and report. If there are no gremlins here.
    #2 Proper Compression and Leak down tests. If they are not willing to do both you haven't chosen the correct place. If there are no gremlins here.
    #3 Inspect lower unit
    #4 Steering
    #5 Transom

If it fails seller should pay for the inspection.

Then if everything is good you have a deal if not get an estimate and work it out with the seller.

If a boat isn't reaching its potential there is a problem. Might be simple it might not be.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

3. Member
    Rick has some good advice, hope it checks out good.

4. Member
    Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned it is going to an independant mechanic for those exact test prior to purchase. When I did my first visual inspection te boat is in amazing condition. Not a stress crack or scratch anywhere. Transom looks great inside and out. Bilge area is very clean and well layed out.
    I appreciate the concerns as Im new here and trying to get the hang of how things work.
    Thsnks again

5. Banned
    4-1/2 is too low raise it up to 3-1/2 as a starting point then raise it up 1/4" every run till you lose speed or water pressure. Once you get to that point you have gone too far just drop it back to the previous position. Be sure to have the boat loaded, full of fuel, and water in the live wells while your testing it.

6. Member
    Thanks for the starting point. Lovin these boards already!

Once ya get it home tell us the prop make and pitch, PTP and length of jackplate. Until then you're just farting in the wind.

Congrats and Enjoy...

9. Member
    Is it a HO Evinrude Bombardier?

10. Member
    Put your serial # in the Evinrude subforum. Someone there can tell you what max rpm is. How do you know of the tach is correct ? Is it digital or not ? Like others replied you probably need to start prop to pad at 3 & 1/2". You have to know for certain your tach is working properly.
    GETFISHED !!!

11. Member
    Congrats! Nothing runs like a champ.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STLBassBuster View Post
    Is it a HO Evinrude Bombardier?
    It dosent say H.O. on the cowling just Direct Injection

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMosher View Post
    Once ya get it home tell us the prop make and pitch, PTP and length of jackplate. Until then you're just farting in the wind.
    Will do.
    Thanks

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Put your serial # in the Evinrude subforum. Someone there can tell you what max rpm is. How do you know of the tach is correct ? Is it digital or not ? Like others replied you probably need to start prop to pad at 3 & 1/2". You have to know for certain your tach is working properly.
    Thanks
    Once I get the deal done and get her home I will post all of the info
    Thanks

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Hope your independent mechanic has EVdiags to connect to the EMM and get the engine history. Correct the engine model number shows it is a non HO model.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Hope your independent mechanic has EVdiags to connect to the EMM and get the engine history. Correct the engine model number shows it is a non HO model.
    I made sure they had the correct machines/computers. Evinrude certified dealer/service

1. Welcome to the boards and the ChampioN family.
    2. You've gotten great advice to follow here.
    3. Please also have your mechanic check the fuel line. I think, being an '04, it needed (or still needs) to be changed for "ethanol in fuel" tolerance. If it's not been changed and has the inner liner delaminating, that could contribute to you issues.
    4. Prop might be OK...depends on what it is.
    5. Rigged right, that boat should see the high 60's - low 70's you described above. My 196, rigged right and light, with a prop from Mark Croxton, is a pretty consistent 67 mph boat.

Let us know how this all goes, and again, WELCOME!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    1. Welcome to the boards and the ChampioN family.
    2. You've gotten great advice to follow here.
    3. Please also have your mechanic check the fuel line. I think, being an '04, it needed (or still needs) to be changed for "ethanol in fuel" tolerance. If it's not been changed and has the inner liner delaminating, that could contribute to you issues.
    4. Prop might be OK...depends on what it is.
    5. Rigged right, that boat should see the high 60's - low 70's you described above. My 196, rigged right and light, with a prop from Mark Croxton, is a pretty consistent 67 mph boat.

Let us know how this all goes, and again, WELCOME!
    Thank you

19. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Welcome to the family!!! The 188 is a great model. You are going to enjoy it!!!!

20. Member
    I am officially a Champion owner. Brought my 04 188 elite home this afternoon.
    It turns out the prop is a fury 25 pitch. P2P is at 4 1/2"
    Only 333 hours no faults or codes
    Compression 1- 130 2- 130 3- 130 4- 126 5- 125 6- 125
    Helix 10 bow and console. 80lb ulterra
    Im going to get it all set up with my gear etc and set P2P at 3 1/2 before I take it out Sunday.
    Would you guys say thats a good starting point?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast