Cold water and Optimax

To start off, these two topics found in the FAQs at top of this or the 3L forum should be followed closely.

Proper Warmup and Cold Water Operation

Engine Shutdown Precautions after a HARD RUN (Especially in cold water)

Surface temps were 37.4° - 37.8° where we fished Sat/Sun. We fish a deep (330'), clear, reservoir in NE WA that, in my biased opinion, has the best "silver colored bass" (aka rainbow trout) fishing in the state.

Wanted to share how I keep my Optimax happy and how a Smartcraft instrument can save your backside with useful information you won't get any other way.

My personal practice in cold water, which is almost every time I launch including summer (~70° surface temp) is to not accelerate until reaches thermostat temp. To do this, I bump throttle to about 800rpm, observe coolant temp on Mercmonitor watch it climb, stats open, temp drops, then as temp begins to climb again, gradually accelerate to cruise rpm, which may take 3 - 4mi. I will sometimes repeat the thermostat cycle twice for my personal comfort.

I have experienced an iced poppet one other time and it happened again Saturday after we launched, and without a Smartcraft instrument, there is no way to know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What was your water pressure at that time? (Good indicator for whether to look at thermostats or poppet valve).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Water pressure 1.6psi. You and I discussed a similar situation, under almost identical conditions, maybe 4 or 5yrs ago, determination was a frozen poppet. Same conditions this time, couple weeks of really cold temps followed by a break and boat stored in unheated metal building.

Since coolant temps were cycling normally from idle to 800 - 900rpm, and climbed only when attempting to accelerate, I knew the poppet was frozen.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Frozen or sticking, for sure.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor