New power head on 250 SHO now have a terrible hole shot

I have a 2016 ZX 250. The 250 SHO had 218 Hrs and the power head had to be replaced. I got it back last week and as I go through the break in period, currently at 4.5 Hrs, I have noticed the hole shot is terrible now. Before the hole was as good as you could have. Nothing else changed except the new power head. I plan to call the shop today but was curious if anyone had ideas.

2. Member
    I would ask them to check the throttle adjustment, and maybe a compression check.

how's top end speed? Like GM said check throttle adjustment. Completely different case but on an old bike I had they did a cam chain recall and when I did a dyno run I was missing over 60hp. I found out when they put the timing belt back on they were off by one tooth. Something else to look at.

---------------------------------------
    2011 Skeeter ZX200 w/SHO 200.

4. Member
    I need to take it out and get my foot into. Make sure I can still get 6K. I did call the repair shop and they were leaning toward VST filter. But this engine only has 218 HRS on it. It needed a new power head due to water intrusion from internal anode leaking. It also doesn't bog down or anything like that. I did get it up to 5800 in the 4th hour but didn't have the distance to stay on it and it was 40 degrees outside. I'll run it and post results tomorrow.

5. Member
    I had a new powerhead replacement last year on my 2014 250 SHO. With the new powerhead I couldn't get over 5700 rpm. I took the cowling off and looked over every connection and I found the cam timing sensor plug just lying there not plugged in to the cam sensor! I plugged it in and got 6200 rpm, easy fix!

6. Member
    I was able to get 6K RPMs and about 70 on GPS. The hole shot is still different then what it used to be. One thing I do notice is it takes longer to get to full speed. With the other power head it seemed like more power on demand. Not really sure maybe I need to change my set up for whatever reason. Cant really fault anything with installation at this point.

7. Member
    Man, you shouldn't have to change anything in your set up as long as you haven't changed props or added weight to the boat. Something is a miss. Did you hit your prop? Check your prop if its a T-1 for a cracked blade!

8. Member
    I took it back to the shop. Computer had a code for CAMSHAFT position sensor. Removed dust covers and that reveled an unplugged sensor. They plugged it back in cleared codes no new ones popped. Took it for a run and had great hole shot and top end is like new. So problem fixed.

9. Member
    That's what I explained above..

10. Member
    YUP thanx for the input. I even told them that before they hooked it up to the lap top. That said the sensor plug was not real obvious with where it is placed. Had to remove dust covers and really know where the sensor was connected to see it. You would think after a major over haul you would hook the lap top up while initially testing the motor to make sure you didn't miss something.