Xpress HD16DB advice

I'm giving a hard look at buying one of these w/F50 Yamaha on the back. Setting up with 24v ultrexx and some nice graphs. If anyone has one, or knows someone who does, any performance info would be great, doesn't matter what engine size or brand it's powered with, I'm just looking to gather info. Any info about the boat period would be helpful. I'm calling the factory tomorrow with some questions, but it's always nice to get info straight from BBC users. One other question, what do you guys think of me buying a boat and the closest dealer is 4.5 hours away? I know it's not ideal, but I really like the looks of this model, the layout, everything.

2. Member
    So I have the HD16DBX ('DBX') instead of the HD16DB ('DB').

The DBX differs from the DB by not having the gunbox/rodbox or the front livewell/deathwell. I actually didn't want the gunbox based on my experience with past duck boats that had gunboxes (War Eagle, Triton and Xpress). I also didn't want the livewell/deathwell either. Truthfully, I wanted the wide open floor space that the DBX offers. The wide open floor space due to not having the gunbox or livewell makes it really easy to 'custom rig' the layout in that boat when switching from river fishing, bass fishing, saltwater fishing, jug fishing for catfish, duck hunting, deer hunting, and river-rat'ing in the summer. Each one of those activities require different coolers, rubbermaid totes, tackle boxes, hunting bags, etc and put it in different locations. Again, I really like how you can easily taylor fit the boat to each activity.

The ONLY thing I did like about the livewell (at first while looking at them) was how it increases your front deck space. HOWEVER, I'm glad I don't have it during duck season (more room for decoy bags by riding lower in the boat and able to keep everyone down in the boat lower). Since owning this boat in 2016, I have not wished the front deck was longer while fishing (fresh, salt, bass, and especially jugs). I will say, I did like the deck height the best in the DBX at the time 2016's were manufactured, as the DB's deck was higher (more bass boat like compared to the X19 I had at the time) and the DBX was just slightly deeper by only an extra 1"-2" ...... yet it was not the typical duck boat drop deck (which is too deep to me for bass fishing and some saltwater fishing). It really helped me to have a dealership that had both boats and had them both sitting side-by-side. I literally got inside of one and stepped over into the other one until I made my decision. The DBX will be less expensive than a DB also. This is due to not having the gunbox and livewell.

Most guys see 36-40mph out of this rig (DBX) depending on setup, etc with a 50hp. It's really hard to get the boat to a true 40mph unless you're running bare bones weight or more HP than the inspection plate 'recommends'. DBX's are more popular around here ....... but I think it's mainly b/c of price point for most people. Thus my speed numbers are based off DBX's instead of DB's. I can only imagine a DB being 1-2mph slower at the most. Most guys are running 12v Minn Kota Edge foot control (including myself with a 55lb). Most guys are running this boat with either the anemic F25 due to price point, or a F50 if they hope to get 36-40 out of it. I'm running a hopped up Mercury 59ci on a Vance setback kickup plate turning a Trophy Sport 15" right on the rev limiter (until I disconnected it) with 2 people and a fishing load to get 40mph. That same motor in a 16' hyperlift hull is a solid 5mph faster, and with that boat having 3 batteries instead of 1 battery.

At the end of the day ....... I do like the boat. I've come so close to selling it around duck season for the last 2yrs b/c I hardly ever use it and I'm getting too old for a tiller due to a bad back. However, I just never can bring myself to doing it b/c I like it so much. With that said, I can see me some day selling this boat for something with a more traditional bass boat layout, mainly b/c I seldom hunt from the boat anymore.

Hope it helps.
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci