Parasitic drain ?

Mercury 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke . Ser. # 2B733457 .. I was working in my bilge which required me to remove all 4 batteries. When removing the connections on my cranking battery I noticed an arc. It kind of made me raise my eyebrows a bit. When I was reconnecting everything back to that battery I noticed a clicking noise from the outboard . Sort of like a solenoid click. Does this motor have a constant small amp parisitic drain ? It would be nice to know. In most cases I will be using it often enough and using my charger also but would be interested to know if there is a constant nominal drain. What say ye ?
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, there is a minimal draw and if you're making/breaking the contact with the clean power or battery cables as you "tighten" cables, you might hear some clicks occurring.

Basically I suspect you were creating a "wake" event (which lasts only 15 seconds or so). Similar to when you activate the trim switch on the cowling.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks. That's basically exactly what happened .
    GETFISHED !!!

4. mikesxpress
    The rigging manual that came with the engine shows the proper way to install a cutoff switch for the engine start cables and another for the clean power harness. I don't want any power to anything when I store/charge the boat.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    The rigging manual that came with the engine shows the proper way to install a cutoff switch for the engine start cables and another for the clean power harness. I don't want any power to anything when I store/charge the boat.
    Just an FYI, the rigging manual does not allow for ANY deviation or switching of the CLEAN POWER connection.

Quote Originally Posted by V8 CMS Model Installation Instructions
    Clean Power Connections:

Mercury clean power harnessing must be connected directly to the positive and negative posts of the corresponding propulsion engine's cranking battery.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor