Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultrex owners I need some info

Does the noise from the electric steering spook shallow fish?

2. Member
    Ditto, I want to hear your feedback. After fishing in a boat with one the other day, I love the trolling motor, spotlock, everything. But I wanna know what you think about the noise I hear. What are your thoughts on the shallow water fishing ?

I honestly haven’t noticed any difference as far as spooking shallow fish. Fished in the grass and muck last summer and fished all fall and this winter in water no deeper than 6 feet and have still caught fish. I have no power poles nor a hydrowave so Im not using anything to mask the sound.

I crappie fish with Livescope. I’ve been on boat with ultrex and I have ulterra. They don’t necessarily spook them but they will swim away from them.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

5. Member
    Nope but the Lowrance Ghost is even louder

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by James john View Post
    Nope but the Lowrance Ghost is even louder

Have you been in a boat with one or where did you get the opinion that the ghost is louder? Hopefully you aren’t using that BassResources Clowns video as your reference.

Last edited by grout-scout; 02-09-2020 at 09:07 PM.

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    THat i'm aware of i havent noticed any issues......in the winter i drift for sac-a-lait with my jigs right under the troller and still catch them from 5' to 15' deep......watch them all day long with Panoptix swimming up to the jigs, so i'd say no issues.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Member
    Had zero issues catching shallow fish while running my ultra.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Have you been in a boat with one or where did you get the opinion that the ghost is louder? Hopefully you aren’t using that BassResources Clowns video as your reference.

First hand experience. 2 different ones at that. There’s a reason why Lowrance guys are still using an Ultrex on the Tours

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    What part was loud? I don't find my ultrex exactly quite.

11. Member
    Almost all I Fish is shallow..... less than 5 foot mostly, I think most of the noise with the Ultrex is above water. I don’t think any TM motor has an advantage over the other as far as noise under the water they’re all going to make some. I would say any TM motor if you were vertical jigging and extremely shallow water, even the boat will scare the fish away.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by James john View Post
    First hand experience. 2 different ones at that. There’s a reason why Lowrance guys are still using an Ultrex on the Tours

interesting, the ultrex’s I’ve seen have been quite a bit noisier than the ghost. (I’m referring to the turning (servo) motor). Canterbury, Evers, Dudley all have a Lowrance, I’d venture to guess that any lowrance prostaffers that are still using the ultrex is only because of available inventory.

13. Member
    Ive not noticed mine scaring fish away. I was flipping jigs in trees a few day ago, 5' deep and using spot lock. I caught 6 bass from the same spot in different trees around me.
    I also sit over a few brushpiles in 7-8' of water catching crappie right under the ultrex.
    2002 BassCat Cougar

14. Member
    Not had any issues. Although I am careful to use the trolling motor less when in real skinny water. I turn slowly and keep it on low speed if possible.

15. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    I think most of the noise with the Ultrex is above water.
    I'd agree with this.....its in the steering.....

16. Banned
    Had to sell my ultrex as I couldnt stand the electric steering noise.

17. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    In the 2 years I’ve run an Ultrex, I’ve caught significantly more fish than previously, lots of them in 1-3 feet of water.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

18. Member
    I’m pretty sure the “noise” that people are referring to, is from the steering. Which is above the water. If anything, fine has helped me catch more fish

I've not noticed anything like that. My Ultrex is a bit (tiny bit) louder that the various trolling motors that I've owned over the past 10 years, but prior to that they were quite a bit louder and still never seemed to bother shallow fish......IF you do your part. Fishing up in the dirt it is imperative to avoid stop and go on the foot switch and avoid blowing prop wash towards shallow cover. I have always thought that these things spooked shallow fish way more that troller noise.

Ultrex sure in shallow clear water when you have it swinging as fast as it can or you have little mini seizures on the pedal. But you can move it 70% of full speed and it's rather quite
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast