Thread: Metal shavings

Metal shavings

2008 Mercury Pro XS

Well, another year and yet another water infiltration. Changing out the LU oil today and I have what appears to be a very small amount of water with the oil. It’s not what I’ve had in years past, and once I can evaluate it further, I’ll be able to determine exactly how much water. My question is going to be, in the photo I’m attaching, you can see some sparkle from metal shavings, is that somewhat normal? Mind you, I’m slightly uptight about the condition of my boat and the motor, so maybe I’m overthinking it The pieces that showed up are the “bigger pieces”. There aren’t any of substantial size, just more so of a dust. And thinking I’m going to just fill back up with oil and see if it was maybe a gasket around the screws that caused the small amount of water to get it. LU has been running great with zero issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements and be sure to provide the REQUIRED Info (Serial Number) each time you start a post. Thanks!

Having a hard time referencing up-down in that photo... ????

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Sorry Don, I must’ve deleted it by accident. 1B506554. The photo is very confusing now that I look at it. It’s the bucket I had the oil in and the bottom of the skeg. The reflection of the skeg and motor is in the bottom view. I’m more so looking at straight down in the bottom corner all the specks, they are so small that they’re smaller than a grain of sand. Just wasn’t sure what is acceptable in regards to “shavings”. They’re all smaller than the tip of a pencil.

4. Member
    Some glitter or gray material on the magnet...normal. Shavings...have to look at them but from your description,excessive.

5. Member
    Glitter. That’s what it would resemble. There’s no magnet on the screw on my unit.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should not be a magnet on this one.

Any chance you can re-orient that photo (or show another) so that it focuses on the gear lube?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thought I was the only on that couldn't figure out what I was looking at!!
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

8. Member
    No can do. Already got rid of it.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Ok- let's see if you can confirm the context of that picture, then.

Are we looking down into a Gray Tub, and seeing a REFLECTION of the gearcase, propshaft and gearcase retaining nuts?

If that is the case, I'm not seeing any significant "sheen" in what looks like the gear lube. But- you should use your own judgement as you were the one with "eyeballs-on".

10. Member
    Thanks Don. Yes, we are looking down into the gray bucket, and the reflection of the gear case is on bottom, and top is actual gear case. It’s a horrible picture and didn’t realize how bad it was until I posted it. The shavings are almost equivalent to dust or just barely big enough to see unless they catch light. It wasn’t a pile of them, but again I just don’t know what normal is considered. Minimal water in the lube, but I can tell there was some. After letting the oil settle in a clear bucket. 8 was unable to see an difference in the oil and water mixture so I’m thinking it’s a minor issue.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Sounds like that may be the case. Definitely change the drain and vent seals, and refill with Mercury or Quicksilver High-Performance Gear Lube.