Thread: Florida living

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Florida living

I may have finally convinced the Wife on retiring to Florida, Question is where. I would prefer waterfront living she has to have a pool. What area would you find most appealing and somewhat affordable. I love to Bassfish but also like some saltwater. I know this question is pretty broad. Am i better off looking for land or a home. I have seen some nice properties on the St. Johns near Palatka, But I think we want to be farther south. 300k range.

2. Member
    In the past 4 months there have been about 20 people asking this very same question. Just read down the list and you will find them and maybe avoid some nasty replies or arguments.

Not trying to offend you, but that question is asked more on this board than questions about fishing.
    Last edited by B-47; 02-09-2020 at 08:04 PM.

3. Member
    300k on the water with a pool is probably a single wide trailer, .
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MARK R View Post
    300k on the water with a pool is probably a single wide tent, .
    ^^^^FIFY^^^^

300k down here...1500 sq ft, ZERO lot line with no garage. 3 bed rooms 2 bath. SFH. No water front. Thats around 450k +. And i am not BS'ing.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

6. Member
    You said you think you'd like farther south than Palatka but I do know of a great place for sale in Palatka but not water front. 5 minutes to the river, 15 to Rodman, 35 to St Augustine. 3/2 , over 3000 sq, pool on about 2.5 acres. Massive attached 4 car garage that will hold 2 trucks and two bass boats with walk around room to spare. It's owned by a former Elite pro's Dad, but it's to much house for just him now $310,000.
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

7. Member
    Manatee Mauler has some property just down the road from his place. He will be along shortly to give you the info.Good luck with your search..

check out Arbor Lakes on Tsala Apopka Nice neighborhood,private launch to Lake Hernando, close to shopping and whatever you need/want.Oh yeah, affordable.

9. Member
    Steve M,

Looking to retire in 3 to 4 years and possibly to Florida (Manatee Mauler, I was born in Palatka Florida if that helps )

Anyway, have pretty much the same requirements as you do and have done some casual looking in different areas of the state. You might check the Melbourne/Palm Bay area. Or Sebastian which is close to saltwater and the Inlet and some good freshwater fishing. Further north, Palatka as already mentioned and Palm Coast. Really liked the Stuart area but $$$.

Good luck with your search.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

Quote Originally Posted by MARK R View Post
    300k on the water with a pool is probably a single wide trailer, .
    and an ABOVE ground pool...……….
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

11. Member
    ^ without skirting..

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerJim View Post
    Steve M,

You might check the Melbourne/Palm Bay area. Or Sebastian which is close to saltwater and the Inlet and some good freshwater fishing. Really liked the Stuart area but $$$.

Do some research on the inlets in those towns. They can be very dangerous if you do not have experience in those conditions.

13. Banned
    The only waterfront in Melbourne is on the Indian River Lagoon, which has serious water quality problems. And to tell the truth, 300k will not get you anything near the water. The house down the street from me just sold for 279K, probably 1400 sf and no pool. And 1 mile inland. Sebastian would be a better bet, but I doubt you could get waterfront for that price.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage Dog View Post
    Do some research on the inlets in those towns. They can be very dangerous if you do not have experience in those conditions.
    Have no doubt it’s a different experience than anything I’ve encountered. Looks intimidating. Hopefully one of the fine folks on BBC will be willing to provide an on the water education when and if the time comes. Lol

And I agree with the water quality of the IRL. Seen the difference over the years of visiting in the area. Don’t want to influence the OP but I’d suggest looking inland and certainly not waterfront.
    Last edited by RangerJim; 02-10-2020 at 06:11 PM.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

I'd move on to Lake Kerr!!

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garage Dog View Post
    Sebastian Inlet, the guy had to be rescued but lost his boat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    And a expensive one at that. I hope his insurance covered "stupidity"...

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerJim View Post
    Steve M,

Looking to retire in 3 to 4 years and possibly to Florida (Manatee Mauler, I was born in Palatka Florida if that helps )

Anyway, have pretty much the same requirements as you do and have done some casual looking in different areas of the state. You might check the Melbourne/Palm Bay area. Or Sebastian which is close to saltwater and the Inlet and some good freshwater fishing. Further north, Palatka as already mentioned and Palm Coast. Really liked the Stuart area but $$$.

Exactly the area I was going to suggest. My wife's grandparents lived in Sebastian for a time. Beautiful area, fish fresh and salt, affordable.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    That ****er is in the atlantic ocean...with a boat like that....More stupidity than conditions were the problem there.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS View Post
    That ****er is in the atlantic ocean...with a boat like that....More stupidity than conditions were the problem there.
    that was my initial reaction upon seeing the pic. Looks like a flats boat or skiff.
    2002 RANGER 520VX
    2006 Mercury PROXS 225

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast