Exclamation Bow roller bracket welds broke, bent forward.

Hit the lake yesterday and when I went to unhook the boat while launching, I noticed I didn’t have as much room as usual to work with than usual to unhook it. Didn’t think much of it because my buddy and I were already late to get on the water, and went fishing. End of the day, put it back on the trailer (I do power load), and when I went to put the hook on, there was even less room to work with. It was then that I noticed the roller was close to the winch. I take a better look at everything and see that the welds for the bracket that holds the roller broke off and the whole piece bent forward, putting the roller close to the winch. Took the boat to a trailer shop in the vicinity to see what they can do.

Though the welds might have been weakened from always power loading, I think the actual break happened while traveling because I know I was able to hook the boat just fine the previous time out in the lake. So I figured it happened on the way back from that time, or on the way to the lake yesterday. I’m thinking it was on the way to because everything looked fine to me while it was parked in the driveway.

I stupidly didn’t take pictures of the issue, but I’m wondering if anyone had this happen? Is this something insurance could cover?
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

2. Member
    I dont know about the insurance but it's not that hard of a fix. You can call marine master and probably get another winch stand or that trailer place can probably just fix it and reinforce that spot and it would be good.

3. Member
    Yes other people have said it has broken on their trailers.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

Just had mine welded. Bent it about 2 years ago but it wasn’t that bad. Finally it snapped off this fall. I have a friend with a welding shop so he lifted the boat up with a strap on the bow eye about 2ft up so he had room to work. He welded the roller frame back on after grinding down some of the gatorhyde so he had a clean spot. After welding it he took a hammer to it and bent it back somewhat straight. Put the bow roller back on and good to go. Now I just need to put some gatorhyde type material on that spot again.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

5. Member
    Mine has been bent for quite some time. I have a new bracket from MM, just gotta stop fishing long enough to get it welded. I'll order a new roller from Drew as well.
    Bent mine loading the boat when a lake was down about 4ft. Just could not get the boat to line up and stay on the steep ramp and made the wrong move.
    I'd say the welds are about 20% cracked.

6. Member
    Contact marine master. They will send you a new piece. Mine snapped and I re-welded it. Only lasted a couple months befog it completely broke off the welds.The new one they supplied me is much beefier. Also , I never power load so be careful out there.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmasher View Post
    Contact marine master. They will send you a new piece. Mine snapped and I re-welded it. Only lasted a couple months befog it completely broke off the welds.The new one they supplied me is much beefier. Also , I never power load so be careful out there.
    Trailer shop just called and I suggested they contact MM for a new part. The guy said he can bend it back re-weld it and he’ll also reinforce the whole thing to make it better than it was. Hope so! We’ll se how it goes.
    Alex Darsen - 2013 Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
    It's more serious than that!

8. Member
    Old thread I know but Marine Masters trailers suck! Cheap junk. I just had the same thing happen. I couldn't understand why my boat wouldn't load properly. Making iit evern worse, the metal peice turned around and put some nice scrapes in the gel coat of my Phoenix. That bracket for the roller is no where near beefy enough. Far too thin.

9. Member
    That’s why got a two speed winch

10. Member
    I ordered a new "Yoke" from Marine Master. Has anyone actually done this repair? I guess you have to cut off the old one and have the new one welded on? Then touch up the gatorhyde?

11. Member
    Bump. Nobody can offer any insight into making this repair. I have a buddy who is a welder. I just don't have an idea of how you get the old peice off and how you line up the new yoke correctly to weld on.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    Bump. Nobody can offer any insight into making this repair. I have a buddy who is a welder. I just don't have an idea of how you get the old peice off and how you line up the new yoke correctly to weld on.
    Sawzall? Cutoff wheel? Gas Axe?

you have many options to cut it off. Line it up and tack it on, and then lift the boat up some to weld it. If he is a "welder" he should be able to help out with how to replace it.
    Fish have fins, they swim

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    Your buddy is a welder and he don't know how to get the old piece off SMH

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Your buddy is a welder and he don't know how to get the old piece off SMH
    I didn't say that. I said that I wasn't familiar in how. Anyways, I took the trailer to my buddies house. He cut the old one off and welded on the new yoke. Took him a little over an hour. Good as new.