Rusted through trailer question

I have a 2003 tracker TV18 and the trailer is rusted through in a few spots, two of them being the support beam underneath and near the winch underneath. Anyone have experience with a trailer rusting through? Get it welded for repair? New trailer? Love the boat but part of me says it's time to get a new boat.

2. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    I would be looking for a new trailer sooner than later. Welding thin rusted steel never a good thing.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

^^^ What He Said ^^^ Trailers are relatively cheap.

4. Member
    I agree with previous posters. I would look for a used trailer. It will be cheaper in the long run.

5. Member
    I have seen trailers patched with Bondo. It has no structural strength but it can hide rust for a while. A very wrong thing to do. I guess you should patch it with welds until you find a replacement. Sometimes that is easier said than done. The trailer under my Stratos rusted through, so it was replaced with a galvanized Load-rite. It ain't pretty but in 10 years there is not a spot of rust on it. The rusted through trailer was left at the Load-rite place. Two weeks later I saw it by the side of the road for sale, patched with Bondo and re-painted.

6. Member
    Thank you for your responses. I'm going to look for a new trailer.

7. Member
    Rust never sleeps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you like the boat get a new trailer

8. Black Hills Energy Collin C.'s Avatar
    Call them and talk, they are super nice. I bought one for a 1987 tx17 that im rebuilding.

http://www.budsmotorsports.com/
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

9. Member
    we had one blasted down about 20 years ago and we found some rust thru areas... dragged the thing to the weld shop and he completely cut out the rust and scabbed in some welded channel to make it whole again and then went back to the blast shop for paint. very solid fix and was unnoticeable really after paint

its doable, but it depends on who does the fix. a patch or cosmetic fix is a waste of time and money on a trailer for sure

10. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    Quote Originally Posted by RTex View Post
    we had one blasted down about 20 years ago and we found some rust thru areas... dragged the thing to the weld shop and he completely cut out the rust and scabbed in some welded channel to make it whole again and then went back to the blast shop for paint. very solid fix and was unnoticeable really after paint

its doable, but it depends on who does the fix. a patch or cosmetic fix is a waste of time and money on a trailer for sure
    yep; plate it and send it!