..:: Gas Springs On Rt188 Storage Lids? ::..

Anyone added gas springs to their storage lockers on RT188? Looking for pics, installation tips and products used.

Thanks in advance!

2. Member
    There is a member here, name is 8theB8, who posted several videos on his youtube page. I believe in one of his videos he shows mounting struts on his lids.
    2019 Weld-Craft 1960 Mod-V
    2019 Evinrude Etec 150/105 Jet
    Minn Kota Ultrex 24v-80#-45"
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 122SV, GT54UHD (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Plus 93SV (Front)
    Garmin EchoMap Ultra 102SV, GT56UHD (Console)
    Panoptix Livescope, GLS10/LVS32

Had to put gas supports on my new boat and i went with the suspa gas struts and they are usa made and seem very nice. I got wverything from amazon. I have twin 24 lb shocks on the big center box lid and 40 lb shocks on the 2 side lockers installed at an angle so they out of the way. Id imagine be a similar setup on that boat. Cost about $80 for the shocks and brackets.

I'm all for it if you like it.... and I say go for it. But I don't understand. The center locker door has gas supports which I use and like. The side doors on my boat lift up and lean against the gunnel and they stay there out of the way while I dig around. What is the advantage of the gas lift supports?
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

5. Member
    I keep rods on my deck and don’t want them opening all the way when digging for tackle and would like to use both my hands when digging for tackle rather than one hand to hold the lid. Opening lids all the way with rods on deck is cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by VA_Bassn_64 View Post
    I keep rods on my deck and don’t want them opening all the way when digging for tackle and would like to use both my hands when digging for tackle rather than one hand to hold the lid. Opening lids all the way with rods on deck is cumbersome.
    I agree its nice to just pull up on the lid and it opens the rest of the way on its own. I forgot the center locker has factory shocks. But the side boxes 40lb shocks work well.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Bassn_64 View Post
    Anyone added gas springs to their storage lockers on RT188? Looking for pics, installation tips and products used.

Thanks in advance!
    Here you go: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....443&highlight=

8. Member
    Thanks sir!!

9. Member
    I have not seen the need for them on the side lockers either. Feel like I would just end up breaking rods with them.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    I have not seen the need for them on the side lockers either. Feel like I would just end up breaking rods with them.
    I know. I don't have a problem moving a couple of rods out of the way. I had the lift arm assist things on one of my glass boat side lockers. I remember two occasions when I did not move the rods to open the locker when the lid flipped the rod and reel off into the water. On one I grabbed the rod before it sunk. On one, the rod is resting in about 50 feet of water.

I will have maybe two or three rods in the way....I move them and open the lid and lean it against the gunnel..... But there is a seat for every butt and some people might like opening the lid with the rods on them... cool.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA