changed reeds today

As the title says changed reeds today on my 200 efi ser number ot467866 2004,a couple of observations first the fuel pressure regulator the two keeper screws were backed out and when disconnecting the hose on top fuel was coming out around the seal,was a little caught of guard by that.Also when removing the air handler oil and a little fuel drained out of the bottom much more than i was expecting i thought that there should be no oil in there at all.other than that didn't see anything that i thought was funky,reeds were all good no chips or anything.While iv got this thing apart should i do any maintenance to the vst in any way?i will be sending injectors to be cleaned

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure you have properly synchronized the linkages, if you drained fuel from the VST you will need to perform an OIL PUMP PRIME (or at least prime the system with Pre-Mix Fuel... this is CRITICAL, as I see at least 1 a year that someone overlooked this and destroyed a powerhead in minutes (or less)).

VST would really only be necessary if it is dirty, or if it is malfunctioning.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    what is the procedure for priming the pump,i did drain the vst as per the manual.Thanks for the info

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Oil Pump Prime is done on the Computer Diagnostic System.

Refilling the VST is as simple as having the fuel line connected to a clean fuel source (recommend 50:1 mix until you know the oil pump is primed), and pump the primer bulb until firm.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Make sure you have properly synchronized the linkages, if you drained fuel from the VST you will need to perform an OIL PUMP PRIME (or at least prime the system with Pre-Mix Fuel... this is CRITICAL, as I see at least 1 a year that someone overlooked this and destroyed a powerhead in minutes (or less)).

VST would really only be necessary if it is dirty, or if it is malfunctioning.
    there were only two linkages disconnected they basically just snapped out,after reinstalling them you have to adjust/i dont think they have been turned or anything

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The cam and roller are mounted on the air handler- which was unbolted from the block, a different reed plate gasket was used, and then the air handler was reinstalled. So yes- everything moved.

Essentially you need to verify that the roller is centered in the low "divot" of the cam at idle (roller able to spin with .005" clearance).

Then verify WOT position.

Everything else is PCM controlled on this one.

7. Member
    ok i got it thanks

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeper bird View Post
    ok i got it thanks
    I’m gonna do the change also, have you been able to run it since you did the change? Did it make any difference

At the end of the season I drain the tank. When its time to get it ready for the fishing season I run on at least 5/8 of a gallon at a 50:1 ratio in a 100 gallon water tank before I start pulling fuel from the VST. Seems to work well Smokes heavy then its time to install the new plugs after it clears up. Been doing it that way since I got an injected engine.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick H View Post
    At the end of the season I drain the tank. When its time to get it ready for the fishing season I run on at least 5/8 of a gallon at a 50:1 ratio in a 100 gallon water tank before I start pulling fuel from the VST. Seems to work well Smokes heavy then its time to install the new plugs after it clears up. Been doing it that way since I got an injected engine.
    Guessing you meant to say "pulling fuel from the Tank". Pretty hard to run a fuel injected engine without it's HP Fuel Pump.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Guessing you meant to say "pulling fuel from the Tank". Pretty hard to run a fuel injected engine without it's HP Fuel Pump.
    Your correct Don I mis-typed!
    And I always check the oil pump output while on the auxiliary tank just for piece of my mind.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeper bird View Post
    ok i got it thanks
    have not run it yet,to much going on