Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rt188 questions *in the market for tin*

What speed am I looking at with a 115 4stroke?

anyone have issues w bringing enough gear for tournaments?

any other issues that are common to this series?
    Gambler Intimidator

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I believe you’re going to be right at 50 with the 115 right guys?

Plenty of people tournament fish in them. Mine is about the same size and there are no problems.

Thats a well thought out boat, incredibly popular! Lots of people here with them.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    My max is 45 , I normally run about thirty though. I have a 4 blade prop 19 pitch. Merc 115. I love the boat.
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

It seems to be super popular with those who have em. It’s a smaller version of my old legend in how it’s setup up. I saw it at the dealer last week and fell in love. 50 is good enough for me. Just don’t want to be at a huge disadvantage.
    Gambler Intimidator

5. Member
    I've only hit 50 a few times, expect more like 45. To be honest I putt putt around at 38-40 most of the time. If you can't get all your gear in it you carry too much.

Fer sure I always carry too much but it’s my security blanket! And I’m coming from a legend v20
    Gambler Intimidator

7. Member
    mid 40's should be expected, I think I have hit 47 with a 115 Etec with power pole, ultrex and normal load of gear. Its a great boat and nice fishing platform. I only have 2 complaints. First I have the normal hull not the P so you do take a beating in waves while running. The other is its gets lots of condensation in the storage compartments. Besides those two things I love the boat and use it more then my glass boat.

I would feel comfortable during tournaments in it and in some cases would use it over the glass depending on where I run

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adamchasejones View Post
    Fer sure I always carry too much but it’s my security blanket! And I’m coming from a legend v20
    I unloaded a Cougar into it.

I fish tournaments out of mine and it works OK with a few caveats:
    1) Be prepared to be the last man to your spot.
    2) Your Co-angler has to store his tackle bag at his feet, not a problem, just different from a big glass boat.
    3) no real storage space on the back deck, the compartments are small. I use the port side for a cooler. Lack of rear deck storage shows up in the winter months, when as it warms up during the day, and two guys start shedding clothes, there is no place to store them.

None of these are big deals, just something to consider.
    I suggest you get the deck step and hinge the lid for additional storage. Get the coin box if available, it was not available when I bought mine so I built one.
    The vents shown in this pic stop the under lid condensation.

BTW: The front deck is a great fishing platform, two guys can work there with no restriction.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

10. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    I agrees with Bill. I have a coin box and a step for extra storage. There is plenty of storage under the seats, too. I have just about everything I had in my Triton TR21. GO FOR IT!

Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

I think I’ll pull the trigger on it tomorrow. Thanks for all the input guys!
    Gambler Intimidator

I don't think there is a better overall value out there than the RT188 with a 115 HP on it. It just fishes great. Can you buy a faster boat? Yep. Can you buy a more expensive boat? Yep. No debate about it.

If you want it to fish from and not speed around in, it is hard to beat for the dollar spent. The RT188 sits nice and level. The front deck is HUGE....A lot of boats sit with the nose up in the air and you feel like you are standing on a hillside when you are in the front. A lot of boats are tippy up front, the 188 is incredibly stable. A lot of boats can't fish the shallows like the RT because they draft deeper. I have been across shallow dikes and high spots that I can't believe it floated across. I trimmed the big motor up and fished where big boats can't go. Ranger stands behind their boats better than a lot of manufacturers. My boat is 6 years old, and I recently had an issue with it. They took great care of me and surpassed my expectations. This is a big deal - a real big deal if you have a problem. Add an Ultrex to it and it is a hard value to beat.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

13. Banned
    If I still fished tournaments I would have bought the 198.

14. Member
    Is there any noticeable difference between the RT188 and RT188P ride? I am wondering about picking up a 2019 model at a discount versus a 2020 "P". Does the pad make that big a difference?

15. Member
    Just today I am putting all my gear in my new to me RT188 from my 188 VS to fish a tournament this weekend and every weekend. They are basically the same size boat but the VS has more storage. The big difference I see is: No dedicated cooler. Holds 3 less rods and only one aerator. The first two are not a big deal. One aerator could be an issue (if it fails). I just ordered a 12v portable one from amazon to keep in the boat as a back-up. It is what it is and you just have to make the best of it.

Have a good one and thank God for it!

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Panama View Post
    I don't think there is a better overall value out there than the RT188 with a 115 HP on it. It just fishes great. Can you buy a faster boat? Yep. Can you buy a more expensive boat? Yep. No debate about it.

If you want it to fish from and not speed around in, it is hard to beat for the dollar spent. The RT188 sits nice and level. The front deck is HUGE....A lot of boats sit with the nose up in the air and you feel like you are standing on a hillside when you are in the front. A lot of boats are tippy up front, the 188 is incredibly stable. A lot of boats can't fish the shallows like the RT because they draft deeper. I have been across shallow dikes and high spots that I can't believe it floated across. I trimmed the big motor up and fished where big boats can't go. Ranger stands behind their boats better than a lot of manufacturers. My boat is 6 years old, and I recently had an issue with it. They took great care of me and surpassed my expectations. This is a big deal - a real big deal if you have a problem. Add an Ultrex to it and it is a hard value to beat.
    what shaft length did you go with on ultrex?

17. Member
    My Ultrex is the 80/45”. The cover no longer fits over the trolling motor like it did with the MG digital.

18. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Good Luck Adam...

Keep us posted.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

Quote Originally Posted by Chainslinger1959 View Post
    what shaft length did you go with on ultrex?
    Buy that 80 with 45 inch shaft. Works great. I would not buy a new boat without the Ultrex on it - especially an aluminum boat. The RT does not blow around as much as some because the nose is not sitting pointing up. It sits more flat in front, but you will still be glad you have the Ultrex. Best thing I ever added to a boat.

Good luck with your choice. I hope you are happy with your purchase.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post
    Is there any noticeable difference between the RT188 and RT188P ride? I am wondering about picking up a 2019 model at a discount versus a 2020 "P". Does the pad make that big a difference?
    The pad does make a difference in performance, but it is more costly to build. The 188 will run between 46-50mph depending on the load with a stainless prop. The 18P with the 115 on a jackplate will run a little over 50mph. The 188 will float a little higher in the water because it is a mod v.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast