Thread: Wiring

Wiring

Haven’t purchased units yet but want to have wiring ready for when I do! I’m wanting to run a single wire from the battery to a switch in bilge, then from switch to a fuse block that I’ll locate somewhere around the console! Run wiring from it, to the bow! So all units and Ethernet switch will be ran to the fuse black! What size and what kind of wiring do you recommend? What fuse block are most of you using? Would I need to install a fuse between the battery and shut off switch or between shut off switch and the fuse block?
    2008 Camo Xpress H18 with 2021 Mercury 150 Pro XS 4S Serial # 3B021969

2. Member
    All sonar installation tab above in sticky’s. Down three or four to Doug’s installation and wiring.

3. Member

4. Banned
    Installer has done many, many installs and they are all.......

10 ga from the battery to a blue sea 5025 in the rod box or under the console. Console unit(s) hook directly to the fuse box. 12 ga wire to everything up front that has to do with the electronics install (such as minnkota heading sensor). Heat shrink crimp connectors on all connections using a quality set of crimpers. If you use a switch the fuse goes between the battery and the switch. If you only have units you don't need a switch, OFF iS OFF on the units.

I don't know if you have any competent folks in your area but it's well worth checking to see what they charge. I think my guy charges $300 labor plus supplies. Any good pair of crimpers is over $100.

I bought the Blue Sea 5025! I’m probably going to purchase this breaker in the picture. Would it be ok to use this as a shut off switch or should I install a actual shut off switch? Will probably be running 6 AWG from this to the fuse box

Pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Would it hurt to have a 2 ft wire going from battery to that fuse switch or does it need to be closer to the battery?

Quote Originally Posted by bassfreaks View Post
    Would it hurt to have a 2 ft wire going from battery to that fuse switch or does it need to be closer to the battery?
    That would be OK. At least any fire would be contained within that unprotected distance.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL