Break in --- jethro ?

New 2020. V max 250 sho. . We still following the book on break in procedures

2. Member
    Speaking on behalf of jethro, who has been sent to permanent timeout camp.

The Yamaha book? He wouldn't.

The Mercury four stroke book? He would.

3. Member
    Yes, jethro is in permanent time out. Miss him, he helped me a lot with the linking of my Yamaha digital gauges with my Lowrance graphs, as well as other things Yamaha related.
    Agree with yam911. DON"T use the Yamaha procedure. I am on my second one, both broken in by the manual, both had gas mixing with the oil. I've only got 60 hours on this one and took it to Chick on Christmas Eve, and drove it 30 minutes solid at WOT getting the engine temp to 140. Getting the oil changed again this week and hoping I finally set the rings.

4. Member
    On my third boat with SHO 250. Dealer instructed me to run first two hours by the book then run hard & get hot (140-145’ish), fish 30 minutes & let it get cold (120’ish). Repeat until 10 hours on motor. No idea what the Merc manual states but all 3 Motors ran perfect and never made a drop of oil...

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Speaking on behalf of jethro, who has been sent to permanent timeout camp.

The Yamaha book? He wouldn't.

The Mercury four stroke book? He would.
    so what should I do. Going tomorrow.

6. Member
    I would use GoHogs method.

7. Member
    Yep, go with gohog's method. That's pretty close how I did my boat and mine mad a touch of oil in the first few hours then it's never made another drop. Even with hours of idling ledges

Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    so what should I do. Going tomorrow.

I have broken in a few SHO’s and this is what/how I did it and have never had any issues...knock on wood.

As mentioned above, do the first 2-3 hours by the book. My boat was loaded like I was going fishing...full fuel and all the tackle I could carry. Before I go any further, this took me most of the day to do this so keep that in mind. I would run it at the recommended rpm’s for 5 or so minutes then change the rpms for another 5 minutes and I did that for about 45 minutes then shut the boat off for about 30 minutes to cool off...Did the same thing for the 2-3 hour mark never getting the boat on plane. Once I got the boat on plane I made about a 70 mile round trip run...from the dam at Chickamauga to the dam at Guntersville. I would vary the rpm’s and trim on the engine on the run down and the run back and would stop and fish about every 30 minutes or so to let the motor cool back down. It’s painful to do but the engines I broke in this way made very little oil during that time. We did change the oil and filter at 10 hours just to be safe and none of them made a drop of oil after. It’s worked every time I have done it this way.

9. Member
    Free jethro

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jp10 View Post
    Free jethro
    YES !! Please come back. Or let him come back !!! Please, Please

11. Member
    Getting to temp and holding it there for a time, not just getting to 140. 140 happened pretty quick but to get it hot thru and thru takes a little more time. I had Yamaha mechanic tell me that nearly all SHO failures were on bass boats (Yamaha supposedly told him this)! Pontoons, offshore and the like weren't having the issues like bass boats. Goes to the running the long enough to get them thoroughly hot. Running 6k for 5 minutes at a time doesn't cut it for what is needed.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    New 2020. V max 250 sho. . We still following the book on break in procedures
    I would follow any officially documented by Yamaha! That way, when you take it in for the 20 hour service you will have a record of what hours and rpm's were put on the motor during the first 10 hours. As for me I thought I followed the documented procedures and my 2018 with over 200 hours has the oil currently at full and it was changed last September. Good luck!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BroWhoop View Post
    Getting to temp and holding it there for a time, not just getting to 140. 140 happened pretty quick but to get it hot thru and thru takes a little more time. I had Yamaha mechanic tell me that nearly all SHO failures were on bass boats (Yamaha supposedly told him this)! Pontoons, offshore and the like weren't having the issues like bass boats. Goes to the running the long enough to get them thoroughly hot. Running 6k for 5 minutes at a time doesn't cut it for what is needed.
    This is exactly it. You cannot completely heat soak a engine in 10 min. Especially with 140 degree operating temp. And to even start to evaporate the fuel in the oil the engine needs to be heat soaked. Yamaha's break in is a joke and the worst way possible to get ring seating. So basically a great engine is fighting a uphill battle from the start. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

14. Member
    Jethro did have a lot of very useful information. it is unfortunate that he is not with us on here any more.

15. Member
    I did Yamaha break in on my first SHO and it made oil! I used the four stroke Mercury break in on my second SHO and it made no oil! proof is in the pudding...

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    I did Yamaha break in on my first SHO and it made oil! I used the four stroke Mercury break in on my second SHO and it made no oil! proof is in the pudding...
    Yes but some people including Yamaha do not want to hear the truth!

And Jethro does not want to come back. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

17. Member
    Jethro needs to do a "Bobby Knight".......I won't live another 20 years!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davesz518 View Post
    Jethro needs to do a "Bobby Knight".......I won't live another 20 years!
    You got to appeal to Al if you want the ban on Jethro lifted. Al is owner of this site and holds the cards on whether someone is banned or not. From some of the threads that I have read from time to time, it takes a lot for Al to pull the "banned" card on somebody.