Spinnerbait Rod and Reel set up

I am fairly new to throwing spinnerbaits. My question is this. I been doing some research on whats the best casting rod for spinnerbaits and have come up with several opinions. I just bought a brand new G Loomis E6X 843C CBR rod for throwing crankbaits. Can I use this to throw up to a 3/4 oz spinnerbait? Not even sure if I own any 3/4 Oz spinnerbaits but just asking.Most of my spinnerbaits are either 3/8 or 1/2 ounce. The 843CBR is a 7' Medium power with a moderate fast action tip. Do I really need a Medium Heavy power rod, when throwing 1/2 ounce spinnerbaits? I am actually new to throwing Crankbaits as well.Love my G Loomis E6X rods. Also, what do you recommend using for a gear ratio for spinnerbaits?

2. Moderator
    The CBR 843 is WAAAAY too light for spinnerbaits of almost any size--in fact i think its too light for a lot of crankbaiting and prefer the 845 for most "general" crankbaiting...Aside from that, if you are sticking to the Loomis line up, look at the MBR 843 or 844 in one of the Loomis lines. I'd go 844 for 1/2+ oz. MBR 843 is great for 3/8oz.-ish spinnerbaits. Bottom line, you need something similar to most brands 7' MH-H in a faster action than a crankbait specific rod. I like a gear ratio in the low 6's for my spinnerbaiting but plenty of people like a 7+
    Steve

MH rod in a length that suits your height. And, just as with my vibrating jigs, I prefer to fish a spinnerbait with a 5.1:1 reel. I get far more strikes and far more fish landed with a slower reel than with a faster reel.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    I used to have trouble hooking up bites until last season when I finally found the perfect setup. Kistler 7’ Helium 3 Light-Medium Heavy. It has a moderate-fast action. I pair this with 16 lb Sunline Super Sniper Fluorocarbon. I don’t recall missing a single strike since using this setup and that is unheard of in spinnerbait fishing. I fish a 7:1 reel because you need to be able to burn a spinnerbait in clear water situations. This is also a perfect swim jig setup.

5. Member
    That kistler model has a very nice blank one of the best
    Nitro z21

The Daiwa Tatula rod line is fantastic at its $150 retail range price point and there are several rods in there that work great for spinner baits and vibrating jigs. The 72MHRB-G is popular for guys who like that glass flex for lighter spinner baits and chatter baits, too light for 3/4 oz spinner baits in my opinion. The 73MH is an all around rod that has a different feel, faster action, but also a fine rod for those applications and will handle 3/8 to 3/4 oz spinner baits. Then they also make the 74HRB-G for larger spinner baits, vibrating jigs, etc. again with that deeper flex some folks prefer, also will cover the 3/8 to 3/4 oz range easily.

Pair one of those up, with a Daiwa Tatula SV TW in 6.3:1 and you're good to go. That is a fantastic reel and a good ratio for those baits. The Tackle Trap has an amazing deal on them with a HUK shirt promo in the reels for sale section... BBC Member Special Daiwa Tatula SV TW/HUK Promo

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post
    I used to have trouble hooking up bites until last season when I finally found the perfect setup. Kistler 7’ Helium 3 Light-Medium Heavy. It has a moderate-fast action. I pair this with 16 lb Sunline Super Sniper Fluorocarbon. I don’t recall missing a single strike since using this setup and that is unheard of in spinnerbait fishing. I fish a 7:1 reel because you need to be able to burn a spinnerbait in clear water situations. This is also a perfect swim jig setup.
    Agree 100%

8. Member
    All these suggestions are really great and will all work well I will agree with Steve though tge 843 is too light for spinner bait work for sure. I’ll add another to the list it’s a st croix legend tournament rod sweeper spinner bait is the model name. It has a good parabolic bend but not as noodle like as a normal Crankbait rod would be. Any reel with 6.3-7:2 will do you good I feel. Ordering from tackle trap will save you some coin on the st. Croix rids as well . I will add a rod that I haven’t fished yet but in paper might be excellent for spinnerbaits and it’s the daiwa rebellion 6’10 mh r rod so it will have the round bend taper. This rod will not come out until march time frame and will also be available at the tackle trap it’s up for pre order now. Good luck with your search all the rods listed are good performers

9. Member
    I just ordered the tatula elite 7’3 multi purpose and a 6.3 sv that is going to see a lot of spinnerbait’s 3/8 a 3/4 oz we’ll see how it does.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

10. Member
    If you like Loomis, go with the 843mbr and a 6.3:1 gear ratio reel for normal applications. Sometimes I find myself fishing moving baits too fast on a 7 gear ratio, so I like the 6. If you’re burning over top grass, the 7 might be a good pick.

I have Dobyns Champion composite crank bait rods in 704, 705 and 764. 704 and 764 easily handle 3/8 and 1/2 oz spinner baits, and I use the 705 for 3/4 oz. Very versatile for top waters and cranks also. They just feel right to me.

12. Member
    Just an FYI, I snapped an OG red-metallic blank CBR 843 back in the day, setting hook with a 1/2 oz Terminator T1 on the other end. Not only will this rod labor with spinnerbaits (unless you toss 5/16 oz on the high end), I wouldn't toss any cranks over 3/8 oz on it.

You have quite a few good recommendations above for more appropriate sticks for 3/4 - 1 oz spinnerbaits.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    I just ordered the tatula elite 7’3 multi purpose and a 6.3 sv that is going to see a lot of spinnerbait’s 3/8 a 3/4 oz we’ll see how it does.
    The 7'3 mh tatula elite is an amazing Spinnerbait rod.

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I use all the way down to a 6’6” med-fast with a 6.3 ratio for 3/8ths spinnerbaits and have no issue controlling fish down here.

My preferred set up is a 7’ MH-F, but it can easily be done with a less stiff rod. I would stay away from a moderate, the rod needs some tip to it.

When fishing the pits down here a 7’ rod is just too long so the 6’6” gets used a lot and I’ve never had an issue.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

15. Member
    if higher end JDM rods are of interest then i would check out the Megabass Valkryie 611 MH

you dont see a whole lot posted on these rods but they are great options.

Its an absolute fabulous rod, its a fast action but there is glass in the blank so it loads up nicely. plus there is just a feel of durability with these rods that you feel when fishing. I also have the 71 and don't feel like i loose any distance casting a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait with the shorter rod.

i also love the adjustable butt on it, make it compact for casting around cover then extend out in open water.

16. Member
    Spinnerbaits...my .02...Short game... Lews TP1 Inshore 6'9" M (this rod is really a MH) but this rod has a tip that is magical and the rod is $100 its crazy. Long game Dobyns 733c for getting the bait far away from the boat. Grab a Tatula SV in 6 ratio and you can toss it in most ANY conditions...I got this reel to combat the WIND that dominates our area and it has worked flawlessly.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.