Will Barren ever get to winter pool again?

Barren has been jacked up. Looks like Green will be this spring. Will they ever get right?

2. Member
    I live on Barren, it is a mess, just like last year. I doubt they get it much, if any below Summer Pool - Winter pool is not going to happen IMHO.

If my memory is correct both lakes have a target date of March 15 for the last day of winter pool level. Then from March 15 to May 1 they have a target level for each day that slowly goes up to summer pool on May 1. In perfect conditions for the COE the lakes would slowly rise to summer pool on the target date but we don't have perfect conditions so they have to deal with what mother-nature throws them.

As for Green if we don't have anymore major rain events over the next 5 weeks I could see them easily getting it back down to winter pool by March 15 based on the current level and how much they will discharge when they do start pulling it again. As for Barren I just don't see it hitting winter pool this late winter/early spring. It's simply too many feet over winter pool to reach that level by March 15 based on the amount they typically discharge form the lake. Another thing I will add is when they are pulling water from Barren they typically do not discharge water as hard as they do at Green. When pulling Green hard I have seen them pull 1.5 ft per day from Green if the inflow is low. At Barren when they are pulling it hard they see it drop about .75 ft a day. Hence another reason I don't see Barren getting back to winter pool anytime soon...now there is one thing for sure. Mother nature will out trump any plans the COE has. If we have epic rains the thought of just being able to find a spot to launch the boat will be more concern than if it will get back down to winter pool.

4. Member
    Barren drains a really large area for it's size (940 Sq. Miles = 601,600 acres drainage area). One winter when it was at winter pool it came up 14 feet overnight and 42 feet that week. With the rain we typically get it will be almost impossible to get it down. If they open the gates 10/10 they can pull around 4500 CFS (2,025,000 gallons per minute) which equals about 6" a day drop at the current level - 9 ft. above summer pool.

Green drains a 682 sq. mile area.

Jeff

5. Member
    No. I think we may see some extended flooding through spring again.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Another pretty good rain event for south central KY today. My hopes of Green hitting winter pool buy March 15 is more than likely going to be unrealistic. Barren will not hit winter this spring. At best a few feet within summer pool is being hopeful.

Not sure if this helps or hurts Barren. I know it hurts my feelings not getting to fish it a winter pool. Or close to it. Should be fun the year it finally does...

8. Member
    I live on Barren River and it's depressing. They had it to 6 ft from winter pool and it rose above summer pool in about a week. .5 ft per day of draw down hasnt been cutting it post October 15th.

9. Member
    I just hope we dont have a year like last year. Rain rain rain rain then blazing hot through part of October.

But appears to be setting up that way again.

10. Member
    Those fish have to have a tough time spawning with the water yo yoing around.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassnpro1 View Post
    Those fish have to have a tough time spawning with the water yo yoing around.
    NO doubt. I've saw fish locked on the bed big time at Cumberland & go back in 2 weeks & there wasn't any water whatsoever where they were bedding.