Crappie rod question.

Thinking if trying the long line technique. Does the long rods provide any benefit over a 6 foot rod. Not mentioning reel because it was closed in lounge so reel doesn’t matter.

Also do you use anything other than mono?
    Praying for a Cure

2. Member
    I use 7 to 10 foot rods for my vertical jigging presentations. When working in the trees i like my 9 footers as i can stay far enough back off the stumps to avoid bouncing the boat off them. Same with brush piles and i use 7 to 9 foot in that application. The longer rods also keep the line out of your trolling motor especially in the wind or fighting bigger fish. I use 4 and 6 pound berkley crystal braid for my casting needs and 5 lb test power pro for vertical jigging. I switched to braid 17 years ago and have not looked back.

3. Member
    Thanks.
    Praying for a Cure

4. Member
    ,If your pulling from the trolling motor,, Yes the longer rods will get the line away from the boat. I like the 10'ers, this also gives the man on the rear deck more room so If several fish are on at a time,, they wont tangle. 7' rods work just fine from the rear deck. Using the long line approach is what you want to do on cloudy days. When fishing tourneys we dreaded cloudy/rainy days because the fish suspend up, then its a spider riggers tournament. We only one pole plastics. The sun will push them back further under the docks or tighter to cover,, our kind of fishing. Haven't fished any in a couple of years now.

5. Member
    Thanks, I’m just fun fishing and if lucky get a meal or two for fish tacos.
    Praying for a Cure

6. Member
    Missed the last question,, we only use 4 or 6# clear mono. Larger Line diameter will raise the jig up a couple of feet higher than 4# at the same speed. You will use your GPS not only for following the same trail but also for speed. Turn your corners very wide.
    Long lining can be very boring, then your ready to scream with a fish on each rod. We run 1/16 and 1/8 ball heads for long lining., and use black nickle hooks.

7. Member
    I use 14’ & 10’ out the sides then 7’ out the rear. Get you an assortment of 1/32, 1/16 & 1/8 road runners I believe the flash of the blades catch the Crappie’s eye and they will chase it down. I use 6lb mono green so you can keep your line straight. Love this technique when May gets here. There’s been times in tournaments that we weighed in bigger bags than the riggers did.
    2002 Basstracker Pro-Team 185xt
    90 HP Tracker by Mercury
    MinnKota Ulltrex 80/45
    HB 858 DI @ Bow
    HB 998 SI @ Console