How often should you replace your fuel lines?

I have a 2004 Ranger fiberglass bass boat I bought new. The boat has mostly been garage kept. The fuel lines still look good but are original. Should I replace them anyways do to age?

Thanks for your experience.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyB View Post
    I have a 2004 Ranger fiberglass bass boat I bought new. The boat has mostly been garage kept. The fuel lines still look good but are original. Should I replace them anyways do to age?

Thanks for your experience.
    If it aint broke don't fix it

3. Member
    Here's what I found in my 2003 lines a few years ago...so I would say yes why not. Cheap insurance.
    Lines.jpg

4. Member
    Absolutely...it cost me approx $20 to change all mine on 2002 Skeeter (USCG rated/approved line)....well worth it for preventive maintenance. And one section of mine was deteriorated like the pic above....
    2002 Skeeter ZX200
    2018 200SHO

Ethanol gas used Barry?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    Ethanol gas used Barry?
    Probably...boat is a 2003 Nitro. I bought it in July of 2015. After I saw a couple threads here about what ethanol can do to the liner of the hose I thought I would just replace them. The fuel filter was clean but after I replaced I cut the old hose open and found what is in the picture. I think the next step of deterioration is that liner starts to turn to goo. I also replaced the bulb with a OEM part. With the new line and bulb I got great results. Bulb gets firm after a few pumps and stays firm. Prior to replacement it wouldn't pump up nor stay pumped up. I'm guessing there was a bunch of old liner in the bulb.
    Last edited by WisconsinF; 02-07-2020 at 10:40 AM.

7. Member
    I just replaced mine in 2004 Pantera Classic.

Have enough spare line for another boat if someone wants to purchase.

8. Member
    You are past due. If you have to use 10% alcohol change it every other year. I know they were to change the lines with the other president but,, All they did was put an EPA stamp on the same fuel line and raised the price,,, its just gray now not black. 10% still eats it up..

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WisconsinF View Post
    Probably...boat is a 2003 Nitro. I bought it in July of 2015. After I saw a couple threads here about what ethanol can do to the liner of the hose I thought I would just replace them. The fuel filter was clean but after I replaced I cut the old hose open and found what is in the picture. I think the next step of deterioration is that liner starts to turn to goo. I also replaced the bulb with a OEM part.
    Its in the filter, change it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    Its in the filter, change it.
    Yeah....I did, after thinking about it and while doing a service. (Lower unit lube, spark plugs, water pump) I cut the old filter up and it was clean (don't know why!) but ya never know.

The fuel system is only as clean as the last remaining piece you didn't change out.

11. Member
    I'm going to start changing them at least every 5 years as cheap insurance. I just blew up my ProXs and failure was traced back to the fuel line.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Lot of preformed fuel lines on an OX66 Yamaha. My 225 has never had ethanol ran through it.

13. Banned
    Lines, never... But I do get a new boat about every 4 years... Dan

14. Member
    Mine is original and still look great and filters are clean.

Flex a new one in the store, then go flex yours. If yours is stiff, replace it. If ethanol has been used or you don't know, replace it. Not worth the risk.