Champ 198/206 to a 520/521

Looking for feedback from anyone who's made the switch from a champion 198 or 206 to a Ranger 520 or 521. I love the layout of both ranger boats, with maybe a lean towards the 520, just worried I might be disappointed in losing the ride champ is known for. I get with the trolling motor down, either of the rangers will likely beat the champs hands down, but anything other than ride disappoint or surprise former champ owners?

Appreciate the feedback...

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

2. Member
    I had 3 Champs with the last being a 198 before buying my first Ranger - a 2012 Z520. Don't get me wrong, the Champs were great boats but it was the narrow hulls that really rode the best. I had a 203 before the 198 and that 203 would take the chop like a well...Champ and was a great boat. My 198 was a great boat as well but I didn't think the trade off for the increased stability it had offset the loss of ride, speed, and especially holeshot of the 203 I had before it. The 198 was a stable boat but not near as stable as a Z520 - not even close. The Z520 doesn't get blown around in the wind anything like the Champs did either. There have been a few days where I miss the Champ ride (especially the 203) but the Z520's do everything else so much better that I quickly lose that thought. The Rangers fish so well from a stability standpoint, don't blow around in the wind, and track great on the trolling motor. My 198 had a 225 HPDI and was a 71 mph boat with an ok holeshot. My 2012 Z520 with a 250 Merc (2 stroke) was a solid 73.5 boat, with a best of 74.1 under similar conditions as the Champ and it had a much better holeshot. Granted it had 25 more hp but it was also a much bigger boat.

My Champs were finished nice but the Rangers are better IMO with the trailer being magnitudes better. I've enjoyed every boat I've owned but for me the Z520 hull is very tough to beat. As a result, I bought my second Z520 last November.

Champions are very good boats but I think you'd be happy with the switch. Good luck with the search
    Last edited by Bassin Bob71; 02-07-2020 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

3. Moderator
    What Bob said to a tee. I had a 198 and downsized to my 518 and couldn’t be happier. Much better quality across the board and nearly as fast. Hole shot and mid range are actually better and my 198 was a screamer.

4. Member
    Exactly the type of feedback i'm looking for and along the lines of what I was expecting to hear... appreciate it.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

5. Member
    Came out of a 196 (same hull as the 198) in the spring of this year and stepped into my first Ranger. My Z520C does everything that my 196 did only way better. Only downside is when the bow is coming down off a big wave, like from a wake boat, the 196 was a little softer on the landing. But, I have learned to solve that with goosing the throttle right before that point.
    2017 Ranger Z520C / Mercury 250 ProXS 2S

Following this thread.... i have a 202 currently and am SERIOUSLY thinkn about upgrading/getting newer boat. I really like the layout of the 520s and probably could even do a 519 model, but it'll be a dream to own a Ranger for sure

7. Member
    I want from a champ 181 to a ranger 119c. So smaller champ to larger ranger. I agree with Bob and RJ. My ranger handles rough water better but the little champ road better. TM down and there is nothing to miss. I would never say that my ranger rides bad compared to my champ but different. I am more than comfortable running top speed is large chop to small rollers.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcg202champ View Post
    Following this thread.... i have a 202 currently and am SERIOUSLY thinkn about upgrading/getting newer boat. I really like the layout of the 520s and probably could even do a 519 model, but it'll be a dream to own a Ranger for sure
    My buddy went from a 202 Champ to a 519 Ranger and was extremely disappointed. The 519 is not a good riding boat by any stretch. Decent fishing platform, but ride.....no.

I had a 202 back some years ago.....very fine riding boat probably best riding champion ever made and pretty fast.....but narrow and very tippy fishing platform......with my big self moving side to side...I currently have a Ranger Z119c and it fishes like a doc compared to the Champ.....it doesn't ride as good as the Champ did...but it's tolerable....and the Ranger floats much shallower than the Champ did

I have a 2018 521L and came out of a 2004 Champion 206DX Elite. (Had for 14 years) My 2 cents worth. I think the the 521L fishes better. Both boats ride very well while going straight. The Champion performed better as the water got rougher . The 206 turned much better at speeds above 50 mph. I do not have any regrets after the change. Don't hesitate to message me if you like.