Thread: custom rims

custom rims

is there a reason nitro makes you order the fiberglass fenders when you upgrade the trailer wheels. If I order the boat with the steel fenders, can I upgrade the wheels later and still fit ok

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kclilsam1 View Post
    is there a reason nitro makes you order the fiberglass fenders when you upgrade the trailer wheels. If I order the boat with the steel fenders, can I upgrade the wheels later and still fit ok
    I got the same question. I ordered the metal fenders, but would be interested in upgrading when the factory tires wear out.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

I bet it has something to do with fitment.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    Don’t quote me on this, but when I ordered my boat (2017), in order to fit the “custom” nitro wheels which are low profile tire, you had to have the fiberglass fenders for clearance. Not sure if anything has changed but that’s how it was in spring of 17’. If you get same tire size you currently have with same wheel size, just a aftermarket wheel, you should be ok. Low profile, don’t think will work.
    2017 Nitro Z20 w/ Mercury 250 Pro XS
    MK Ultrex 112# Mega DI/ Mega 360
    Console: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MSI G3N
    Bow: Helix 10 MDI G3N-Helix 10 MDI G4N

5. Member
    Thanks, good to know. Can I swap out the metal fenders later for fiberglass ones, or is it crazy money to order the fiberglass fenders later

I have the low pros on my 18 z21 with glass fenders and next boat I won't be getting them again unless they change the clearance from them. I say this because when I had a hub go out on me I was in the middle of nowhere and had to limp back with 3 working wheels and the axle strapped up. With the load on one wheel the low profiles would rub on the inside of the fender and then cause the fender to blister and also destroy the tire. There is barely any clearance to begin with! The tire alone was $210 with install plus fender damage and new hub and tire that were already destroyed. The big wheels and low profile tires just make things worse and more expensive in my opinion.

But they do look really good!

7. Member
    You can get custom wheel & tire package without the fiberglass fenders. I have several pics and photos of dealers that do with both. This contavt was givin on Nitro Page for dealer that does them. Ask for Brandon 866-354-2628.i have pics of several with metal fenders and custom wheel and tire (from dealer)
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    I have the low pros on my 18 z21 with glass fenders and next boat I won't be getting them again unless they change the clearance from them. I say this because when I had a hub go out on me I was in the middle of nowhere and had to limp back with 3 working wheels and the axle strapped up. With the load on one wheel the low profiles would rub on the inside of the fender and then cause the fender to blister and also destroy the tire. There is barely any clearance to begin with! The tire alone was $210 with install plus fender damage and new hub and tire that were already destroyed. The big wheels and low profile tires just make things worse and more expensive in my opinion.

But they do look really good!
    How many miles were on trailer when the hub failed?

Quote Originally Posted by grandbassslayer View Post
    How many miles were on trailer when the hub failed?
    No idea maybe around 10k to 15k.