Is Insurance necessary?

I never had insurance on my 1981 Tracker in the 3 years that I have owned it since most States don't require it. Should I consider getting insurance on my 2010 Tracker 175 I just got? I know I would have to pay out of pocket for any damage to my boat if I don't have insurance, but I'm used to doing that anyway since I have never had full coverage insurance on any of my vehicles, never had any accidents either.

2. Fishing is a Passion
    You should always have liability insurance. I carry $500,000
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

3. Member
    Not till you need it
    Please release me,let me go.

4. Member
    Liability and Medical I wouldn't do without.

5. Member
    Apparently not. Every time I make a claim, they find a way to deny coverage. Case in point, lower unit just went out and Progressive is denying coverage saying it was lack of me checking my bolts on it. Why am I going to continue to pay $800/year and always get the finger. They work harder trying to find a way to deny coverage than when you actually file
    2009 Ranger Z520, Mercury 250 ProXS

6. Member
    Why did it go out

7. Member
    i've had a few impacts (fishing in South Louisiana, you're bound to hit something from time to time) and had one earlier that morning of fishing. Nothing outrageous, but enough to jog the boat. For the record, the day before, i pulled the boat out and ran it with the hose and did my pre-trip check, saw no issues, no bolts backing out, etc. Same thing the morning of the trip during my pre-launch check list. Fished pretty much all morning after the impact and it went out all of a sudden on the way back to the launch.

Adjuster claiming lack of maintenance b/c the lower unit separated from the midsection
    2009 Ranger Z520, Mercury 250 ProXS