Ranger 619 and Ford Expedition

I am considering a new to me 2016 Expedition to take over towing duties from my beloved 2002 Dodge Cummins 1 ton dually. The Dodge pulls fine. The Cummins takes no prisoners when it comes to towing BUT it doesn't ride the best and as I age, bouncing down the highway isn't the thrill it once was.:)

And I no longer have the big Lance slide in camper, so I really don't need I ton springs.

Anyway, I'm confident the 3.5L EcoBoost will tow it adequately. My question is though, would I, should I, consider a weight equalizing hitch for this rig? The Dodge outweighs the Ranger by a good margin, so stability was never an issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

You’re going to take a huge hit in stability, but it will tow fine by normal standards.
    When I say “normal standards” guys will be along shortly to say otherwise. It’s well within tow capacity. Drive like you’re pulling a trailer: increased following distance, stay aware on traffic all around you, and keep it at a sane speed. That’s a very nice tow vehicle.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeGraaf View Post
    You’re going to take a huge hit in stability, but it will tow fine by normal standards.
    When I say “normal standards” guys will be along shortly to say otherwise. It’s well within tow capacity. Drive like you’re pulling a trailer: increased following distance, stay aware on traffic all around you, and keep it at a sane speed. That’s a very nice tow vehicle.
    Even with the Dodge, 65MPH was our max speed. It paid off north of Fargo on I-29 one day when the passenger side front tire shredded. We didn't crash. :)

I tow a 520 with a 2006 Sequoia. 70mph is solid. Your boat may be a little more of a load but the Expedition will do better than my Sequoia.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

5. Member
    Tim I towed my '02 TR186 for years with a 1999 S10 Blazer - 4.3L and it did fine pulling and with surge brakes stopping was controlled. The Expedition is larger, more powerful, and depending on how it's equipped you might have the newer tow features such as anti-sway and auto hill braking / start assist. In short - - No Problem.

EDIT - TR186
    Last edited by FishingKY; 02-07-2020 at 06:05 PM.

6. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    I have been towing my 619 for years with a Suburban. No issues at all.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

7. Member
    I have a buddy that tows a tournament loaded 621 with a 3.5 eco boost and it does fine, not many big hills around here. He used to tow around the northern half of the country with a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel and you always hear the saying, you couldn’t even tell there was a boat back there, with that truck it felt that way. You can tell it’s back there with his half ton 3.5. I tow the same set up as his with a 6.2 half ton Chevrolet. I’ve driven his set up and it’s very comparable to how mine tows, I just get a little better mileage with mine while towing , not much though 2-3 mpg.