Ranger RT198P info

I am looking into getting a Ranger Rt198p and needing your guys help on pros and cons of it. Like stability, speed, compartments, etc. I have a nitro z20 now but don’t fish tournaments as much. Just looking for a solid all around fishing boat that’s not pricey. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Once again thanks

2. Member
    I have a 198P and think it is stable, will run close to 60, has plenty of storage and fishes great on the trolling motor. The cockpit is a little more cramped than I would like so make sure you get the tilt wheel. I have a Atlas jack plate, power pole and an Ultrex on mine. I am very pleased with my 198P.

3. Member
    Pabasshawk what size jackplate do you have. I’m considering installing one on my 198 .

4. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Here is my boiler plate response:

I went with the RT198p and have no complaints and love it. I take care of mine as far as keeping it clean, touching up scratches, etc... and that's just because I am anal. I do run it pretty hard on the water, been bumped and banged around in the waves and wakes, and all good thus far. I prefer the light weight of aluminum for hauling and for maneuvering around in my driveway as I have to unload and pull it into my garage by hand. The only cons I can come up with, which are non-factors to me, are -> (1) no matter how you slice it, they are not as smooth a ride as a big heavy glass. However, the 198 pad hull rides very nice up on plane. (2) They are a bit more susceptible to wind, not horrible, but it requires more TM work/diligence to keep her stable. I will upgrading to an Ultrex at some point just based on all the advantages it offers. (3) With wind and descent waves/wakes you will get wet, this is based on hull contour. Again, not a show stopper. The Vexus folks claim this is not an issue with their hull, but, I cannot substantiate that claim.

I tournament fish a lot, and my livewell is just fine, never lost a fish due to livewell design. Likewise for storage. The front platform fishes two guys no problem what so ever

With a 150HP on any stock aluminum rig, you most likely won't see speeds in excess of 60-61 mph. If you need higher performance, you should consider a hull that will accommodate 200HP.

All things considered, I will never go back to a glass boat.

That's all I got, good luck...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

���� I gotta agree with King. I love my rig and have 0 complaints for what the thing cost and being a tin rig. Ultrex is number 1 on my list this year but I have caught some studs without it.

Drivability on the boat is what you can expect out of a aluminum 19’ boat. Handles rough water but not the driest or smoothest ride but will get you to A-B.

By myself and full load and gas I’m 58-60. with a partner I’m at 48-55, but let me inform ya I’m 6’3” and 300lbs and my friends are the same shape I’m in! I have a 4” jack plate on my boat with Th transom wedges.

overall for the prices you can’t go wrong with the 198. I’ve drove and compared 198 to 1980. Pay more get more but wasn't worth the extra money for what ya get.

on the compartments and stability, the compartments don’t have the most space but look how big the boat is. I have about 12 rods in the center and I place all my plastic on the left side for stability. I place hooks weight and hard baits in the back side compartments. I added lights to my front compartments and was the best thing I did for $20. Stability is good for two big guys side by side on the front deck. Does have some lean but if they are on the back 0 issues.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 71oldbassbassman View Post
    Pabasshawk what size jackplate do you have. I’m considering installing one on my 198 .
    It's a four inch Atlas, don't think it helps with speed but comes in handy in skinny water.

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    It's a four inch Atlas, don't think it helps with speed but comes in handy in skinny water.

agree 100%. Also I notice if you go bigger then you ah e to worry about getting your motor to far down other wise the water stream is under water.

8. Member
    no complains about mine. love the fact it can get in really skinny water.
    lots of storage up front .
    I got a ultrex and a pole with a 4" atlas
    I fish tourney of it and no issues with them. I added a set of VT12 and some isolating foam pads inside of the lids

9. Member
    It’s a good boat. I don’t use mine but it’s a good boat.

10. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Oh, one more thing I just thought of after reading the other posts, I do not have a JP, but this hull can get in real skinny water w/o it. I fish up creeks quite a bit and 1, maybe it's 1 foot plus is very do-able...

Keep us posted
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

11. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundah View Post
    It’s a good boat. I don’t use mine but it’s a good boat.
    WTF...

Oi Vey
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

12. Member
    Guys,

thanks for all the feedback on the Rt198p. Got one more question. How cramped does it fell in the console area? I’m considering the dual console but afraid it will make it very tight on room. Once again thanks for the info. ��

I like having a single consul because of the room. I’m 6’3” and 300lbs and I don’t have a tilt wheel but it’s big enough that I’m not cramped. All in all just have to remember it’s a 19’ boat and space isn’t going to be like on a 20-21’

14. Member
    There is plenty of room.
    I also have a single console.
    It opens the space a bite more.
    Also makes it easy to remove rods from the rod locker

Quote Originally Posted by Ok Ranger View Post
    Guys,

thanks for all the feedback on the Rt198p. Got one more question. How cramped does it fell in the console area? I’m considering the dual console but afraid it will make it very tight on room. Once again thanks for the info. ��
    I think you would regret having a dual console on that boat.......UNLESS your wife fishes a lot with you and she wants to ride behind a windbreak.

That boat seems to be a great value for the buck spent and everybody I have seen with one loves it and does not regret buying it. That's a pretty good indicator.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

16. Member
    I have the single console and am glad I didn't get the double console. I think that the single console makes the 198P easier to fish out of.

17. Member
    I have the dual console and love it. If you find that you don’t like it, you can always remove it. It’s very easy, only 5 lag screws.

18. Member
    I will be starting my 3rd season on mine and can't wait...i love this boat!

If i fished large lakes all the time i would go back to glass but for small - medium lakes and occasionally a large lake this boat does very well

19. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ok Ranger View Post
    Guys,

I'm 6'1 220#, my single console w/ tilt wheel is no problem...

I would advise you to try and take one out for a test ride. You will be impressed w/ the hole shot and how nice they ride up on pad.

Additionally, I agree w/ javjoe 100% on the big open lake fishing vs. smaller-medium water...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop