What's needed to fish in NC if from out of state?

I'm in Richmond VA, wouldn't mind trying some NC lakes out. The border lakes are no problem but what would I need to big the boat and fish others? Obviously an out of state fishing license, what about with the boat?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

A vehicle to pull it.. good to go

3. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    might need a reservation, I thing we all all booked up for the next 5 months

just kidding but if you are coming for fun might want to come on weekdays
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

4. Member
    Other than a license,nothing extra but you will need a throw device and fire extinguisher if you don’t have them already. If the officer checks you he is going to ask for them.Neither of these need to be on deck and ready for use though, as in some states. Out of state registration and trailer tags are honored here.

5. Member
    I'd take a rod and reel....maybe a few lures.

6. Member
    Damnit, I think I would have forgotten the tackle!! And I'm glad for the vehicle reminder, would have taken a while with lawn tractor tow rig.

I try to fish on weekdays whenever possible. Weekends test my blood pressure thoroughly, some lakes more than others.

Didn't know out of state reg/trailer tags were honored, that is pretty cool.

Thanks all!
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

Be advised hardly anyone in NC used their turn signals. Other than that go have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Other than a license,nothing extra but you will need a throw device and fire extinguisher if you don’t have them already. If the officer checks you he is going to ask for them.Neither of these need to be on deck and ready for use though, as in some states. Out of state registration and trailer tags are honored here.
    Not saying your wrong on that equipment because your not but I have been checked once or twice on the water around Raleigh and all they asked for was a fishing license.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Not saying your wrong on that equipment because your not but I have been checked once or twice on the water around Raleigh and all they asked for was a fishing license.
    when the US coast Guard pulls up beside your boat, you better have your mess right...
    i was checked 2 weekends in a row...
    and they dont care if you are in a tournament...luckily the 2nd time i had the reciept from the 1st check and they passed me over...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

10. Member
    I have been checked 6 times in 8 years: 5 out of 6 they checked the life jackets and throwable device, 5 out of 6 they checked all licenses, and 4 of 6 they checked the fire extinguishers (I carry 2). A couple of times they have pulled alongside and we just talked, never asked for anything.
    These were all NC WRC officers.

11. Banned
    I get checked very often and they always check everything except what’s in my anal cavity and I’m sure they’re tempted at that as well. NC gw’s are as low IQ as they come. As someone else said, fish during the week. We have some diverse fisheries

12. Banned
    Been checked by the Coast Guard on Kerr twice and they were pretty through. Feel as if both were training runs for the 5 that were on board their boat. They ask permission to board my boat both times and it was granted. They asked if any weapon was on the boat and i said yes and gave the location and the leader announced to all where it was located. After checking everything they were on their way in less than 5 minutes.

I got checked by USCG on Gaston one time for missing the inbvisible no wake buoys at Eatons Ferrybridge.... they were butt holes. Every NC Wildlife guy I have been checked by has been cool.
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    when the US coast Guard pulls up beside your boat, you better have your mess right...
    i was checked 2 weekends in a row...
    and they dont care if you are in a tournament...luckily the 2nd time i had the reciept from the 1st check and they passed me over...
    Ah, for me is was just the local NC wildlife guys. Probably why they didn’t check the other stuff.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    I get checked very often and they always check everything except what’s in my anal cavity and I’m sure they’re tempted at that as well. NC gw’s are as low IQ as they come. As someone else said, fish during the week. We have some diverse fisheries
    Definitely disagree with you on your opinion regarding or game wardens. I’ve interacted with several on the water, in the dove fields and when they have participated in our DU events. All were great guys with an IQ higher than your average bass fisherman.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Definitely disagree with you on your opinion regarding or game wardens. I’ve interacted with several on the water, in the dove fields and when they have participated in our DU events. All were great guys with an IQ higher than your average bass fisherman.

it’s not really an opinion.......it’s factual. Every gw I’ve ever encountered in NC has been very low IQ I just counted and I’ve been checked in 19 counties.....none were kind, courteous or smart in what they were doing. In most other states I’ve had zero problems and I’ve been to a lot of different places. I’ve never had any issues with the coast guard in NC, just gw’s. Wouldn’t piss on any of them if they were on fire.