Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar

Who has been to Africa hunting?

I have always wanted to go and have a chance. Flights and shipping trophies back is high though
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

A friend of mine lucked into a all expense paid hunt there. He showed pics on our annual get together and it looked fun.
    From my understanding you are assigned a professional hunter aka guide/pH. pH says shoot 3rd from right and you shoot called animal. If you shoot wrong animal then it's hell to pay. He said that part of it was stressful .

They shot literally truck loads of critters. He sent back a bunch of skull mounts and a mount of a trophy fawnbak. (Sp). Looked like a whitetail fawn with spikes. We give him a hard time about shooting a dwarf deer still.

3. Member
    I've been three times, had the time of my life, the taxidermy and shipping bill is more than the cost of a lot of the hunts there, there are certain areas that's cheaper to hunt than others, just depends on the game you're after, I already had my second trip booked before I took my first trip, so I just hunted plains game the first time out. My next hunts buffalo was at the top of my list, it's my favorite game to hunt in Africa. Make sure you practice on moving targets before you go, a lot of people don't and it cost them money and a lost animal.

4. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DougN68 View Post
    I've been three times, had the time of my life, the taxidermy and shipping bill is more than the cost of a lot of the hunts there, there are certain areas that's cheaper to hunt than others, just depends on the game you're after, I already had my second trip booked before I took my first trip, so I just hunted plains game the first time out. My next hunts buffalo was at the top of my list, it's my favorite game to hunt in Africa. Make sure you practice on moving targets before you go, a lot of people don't and it cost them money and a lost animal.
    I would like some combination of a Kudu, impala, water buck, gemsbok and a nayala with my bow.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Roddy,

Get ahold of Tyson hes been over therefor I think the same critters you listed

6. Member
    I know a guy that’s been 15x- took camera crew and made vids on several. He’s killed everything including leopards-except giraffes and elephants cause he didn’t want to. I think last 9x he hunted Cape buffalo which was his favorite

7. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Roddy,

Get ahold of Tyson hes been over therefor I think the same critters you listed
    Been talking to Tyson.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC

Bring Back Gluten!!!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    Been talking to Tyson.
    PM Sent.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax

9. Member
    I have been once and my son has been several times. I didnt hunt because of the cost but accompanied him on plains game, cape buffalo, and elephant. By far, tuskless elephant would be my favorite. If the fear of being stomped in the ground several times a day doesnt appeal to you - dont do the tuskless cow elephant hunt. Yes, he taxidermy bill can be a killer - especially when you start doing full mount leopard. Dont think you will save money have heads mounted in Africa - the shipping will make up the difference.