Looking for pros and cons on the 150 Merc 4 stroke and the Nerc 150 Pro XS

I have a 150 Yamaha now, but have read nothing but good things about the 4 stroke Merc. Also what is the advantage of going with the Merc Pro XS?

Thanks ahead of time for your help. Sorry for Nerc, its should be Merc
    Last edited by coach76; 02-05-2020 at 07:27 PM.

2. Member
    I have a 2020 Mercury 150 4 stroke L model on a Ranger RT 198p. I have most of the break in completed with about 6 hours on it now. It is very quiet and smooth running with a good hole shot on the 198. I'm not a mechanic and can't explain the difference between it and the XS but I'm sure others will chime in. The XS model is a little more expensive, around 600 dollars, but from what I understand the L model is a little faster.
    2020 Ranger RT 198p, Mercury 150 HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota 80# Fortrex

3. Member
    Isn't the Pro XS an HO model that has more than 150 hp? I think the RPM range is higher on the XS, and the gear ratios are different. Not sure what that would all mean.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

4. Member
    The newer ProXS comes with a lower gear ratio lower unit and a higher rev limit allowing you to use traditional Merc props like a Tempist. My 2017 115 4S PXS was the last of the standard gear cases. I’m running a 20 Laser II and have never came close to the rev limiter.

They are real easy to maintain. I buy my Merc oil change kit from dealer every year for 70.00 give or take. The three year service hurt the wallet, about 750.00. It’s not like an annual service on an Opti is cheap.

5. Member
    I will stick with the standard Merc 150 4 stroke if it just means buying different props. I just want a reliable engine and the extra money that would be spent on the Pro XS can go toward other needs when ordering my boat. I am leaning toward a Triton 186 either Allure or Fishunter, the 206 is over $50 not counting my options.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    The newer ProXS comes with a lower gear ratio lower unit and a higher rev limit allowing you to use traditional Merc props like a Tempist. My 2017 115 4S PXS was the last of the standard gear cases. I’m running a 20 Laser II and have never came close to the rev limiter.
    The standard 4S and the ProXS use the same props just different pitches. Typically a 22P Tempest+ on the regular 4S and a 24P or 25P on the ProXS. They say the ProXS is better suited to bass boats.

- 2019 Ranger Z185 - Mercury 150 Pro XS

7. Member
    thank you saying for bass boats, the two I am looking at are Walleye boats

8. Member
    I'd probably take it to the Merc forum. My loose understanding is that the ProXS puts out significantly more torque, has a better holeshot and slightly higher top end speed. But I have never been on a boat with the modern normal 4s, so I couldn't tell ya. I can tell ya that my ProXS is powerful to the point of being downright silly and sounds like a '67 mustang is bangin' out Denzel Washington or something.. its just that sexy.
    2020 Triton TRX189 B B W
    Mercury ProXS 150 I B O
    Garmin EchoMAP Plus (2x) G A L
    Toyota 4Runner D F

9. Member
    200 more RPMs, different a gear ratio LU. What no one has mentioned yet is that the Pro XS model has significantly stiffer motor mounts and the different LU has low water pick ups compared to the standard 150.
    1985 Ranger 373V
    2018 Ranger RT198P *SOLD*
    2019 Ranger Z521C