Smallmouth Junkie!

New 3.0 Duramax diesel 1/2 ton.

I am looking to see if anyone has the new GMC / Chevy 1500 with the new 3.0 Duramax diesel motor in it. Just curious how you like it and how it tows your boat? Gas mileage if you have it yet? I really like the gas mileage numbers I am seeing on it and I am impressed with some of the videos I’ve looked at online.

Last edited by MichPhoenix77; 02-05-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

2. Member
    They had better be in the high 20's low 30's as a lot of the new 3/4 to 1 tons can get to the 20's. Had a customer in last week with one and didn't ask on the mileage because it was so new. He said it had good power. cj
    Last edited by CJ1; 02-06-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Member
    I don't have the Baby Duramax ...... only b/c GM would never release it last year (2019). So I bought a new body style '19 1500, Crew, 4x4, with Max Tow and the 5.3L (DFM) and 8spd, which was every option I wanted down to the color ..... minus the diesel. I will say, I love that truck! To me it rides pretty dang nice and drives like no other truck I've owned. The 5.3L is a lot peppier than any other 5.3L I've owned ('03, '04, '06, another '06, '08, '12). I did consider the 6.2L, but found a killer deal on the truck that I ended up buying. And to be honest, I wasn't real wild about needing to put premium fuel in the 6.2L to get it's full potential vs the 5.3L taking 87. I get an honest 21mpg on a tank of fuel with mixed city and highway driving. I have seen higher (mid-20) on highway trip with cruise set at 60. Odometer is currently at 7,000 miles.

My future plans are to pay off my John Deere in the next 2-3yrs, trade that '12 Crew Z71 in, and get another truck very similar to my '19 but with the Baby Duramax ..... bar it nothing major with the 3.0L Duramax happens till then.

With that said, I say GET ONE!!!!!! I need people to test them out real good so I know what I'm getting in 2-3yrs. LOL!!!!
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

4. Member
    PS: Here's a thread from the Ranger board where one of the members showed the one he bought.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1011475

Hope it helps.
    -391v

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    I don't have the Baby Duramax ...... only b/c GM would never release it last year (2019). So I bought a new body style '19 1500, Crew, 4x4, with Max Tow and the 5.3L (DFM) and 8spd, which was every option I wanted down to the color ..... minus the diesel. I will say, I love that truck! To me it rides pretty dang nice and drives like no other truck I've owned. The 5.3L is a lot peppier than any other 5.3L I've owned ('03, '04, '06, another '06, '08, '12). I did consider the 6.2L, but found a killer deal on the truck that I ended up buying. And to be honest, I wasn't real wild about needing to put premium fuel in the 6.2L to get it's full potential vs the 5.3L taking 87. I get an honest 21mpg on a tank of fuel with mixed city and highway driving. I have seen higher (mid-20) on highway trip with cruise set at 60. Odometer is currently at 7,000 miles.

My future plans are to pay off my John Deere in the next 2-3yrs, trade that '12 Crew Z71 in, and get another truck very similar to my '19 but with the Baby Duramax ..... bar it nothing major with the 3.0L Duramax happens till then.

With that said, I say GET ONE!!!!!! I need people to test them out real good so I know what I'm getting in 2-3yrs. LOL!!!!
    I've got an '18 with the same drive train and its the best tow vehicle I have ever had. Note that I run 89 in mine and it does seem to make a difference. It will run just fine on 87 but it will detect detonation and retard the time. The 89 lets it advance the timing a little more which give you better performance. Granted, its probably only an factor at WOT but I did feel it in my highly scientific "how much tire smoke can I make" test. After running a few tanks of 89 I turned of traction control and stomped it. Tires broke free and spun nicely. On 87 I really only got a chirp.

What do you think of the 8spd? Not crazy about mine. I seem to only notice when it is hot outside, but when I first start it up the transmission surges and has a hard 1-2 shift. Once it is at operating temp, or now in winter, it does not happen. Dealer said GM is aware but as of yet has no resolution for it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    What do you think of the 8spd? Not crazy about mine. I seem to only notice when it is hot outside, but when I first start it up the transmission surges and has a hard 1-2 shift. Once it is at operating temp, or now in winter, it does not happen. Dealer said GM is aware but as of yet has no resolution for it.
    To be honest (and I only have 7,000 miles on the truck), I have not noticed any of the shifting issues that I read about guys with the older body style ('14-'18) having. I did read somewhere that GM came out with some kind of new oil, or oil additive (I'm not sure), that supposedly helped. I do know the dealer was quick to tell me that my 8spd "had the new oil" in it. It wasn't until then that I started researching what he was talking about. I honestly have to watch the tachometer for the drop in RPM's just to know it shifts (between the transmission being that smooth and the engine and cab being that quiet).

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    To be honest (and I only have 7,000 miles on the truck), I have not noticed any of the shifting issues that I read about guys with the older body style ('14-'18) having. I did read somewhere that GM came out with some kind of new oil, or oil additive (I'm not sure), that supposedly helped. I do know the dealer was quick to tell me that my 8spd "had the new oil" in it. It wasn't until then that I started researching what he was talking about. I honestly have to watch the tachometer for the drop in RPM's just to know it shifts (between the transmission being that smooth and the engine and cab being that quiet).
    Interesting, I’ve not heard of this “new oil”. Yeah, once it is up to operating temps it shifts very smoothly.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

I have an ‘18 2.8 duramax Colorado and it tows my Skeeter just fine. I’m sure the 3.0 will do the same. Here’s a thread on the Colorado forum from someone who just purchased a 3.0. Skip to page 3 where he starts talking about his new truck.

https://www.coloradofans.com/threads...0-dmax.413216/
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret

9. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Archer View Post
    I have an ‘18 2.8 duramax Colorado and it tows my Skeeter just fine. I’m sure the 3.0 will do the same. Here’s a thread on the Colorado forum from someone who just purchased a 3.0. Skip to page 3 where he starts talking about his new truck.

https://www.coloradofans.com/threads...0-dmax.413216/
    Thanks for the info. Very good comments to hear. I am thinking I will wait a year and see how this motor works out for people. So far I really like what I see. I saw a GMC crew cab today with the 3.0 Duramax 4 x 4 for $53,400 sticker price. Which is only about $1,400 more than the comparable 5.3 liter. I like that!
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

10. Member
    Yea, the price point for the upgrade ($1400) for both the 6.2L and the 3.0L Duramax over the 5.3L makes it really hard to beat.

11. Member
    i was looking at them and found out the oil pump is driven with a rubber belt and has to be replaced at 125,000 miles . Trans has to come out to have this done.I purchased a 2500 ram with Cummins.

What are the gear ratios in comparison in that Fast Lane video? I know that Chevy offers totally different gearing options and leans towards the higher side as opposed to Ram who I know offers a 3.92 ratio. My 18 Ram eco has the 3.92's and I would not want anything less. That said, the Chevy inline appears much stronger on paper but gearing is what delivers the goods.

I have stock 20" BFG AT KO's which trimmed my OAL mileage by 2 but still get 18 mpg towing my bass boat, 24 combined, 28 highway and can touch 32 on a 55 mph back road trip. I would say that either truck is going to serve the function and would be more interested in trim comfort.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus