Trailer wheel bearings

The sticker on my trailer says my bearings/lube are lifetime. WTH does that mean ? 5,000 miles or 500,000 miles ? Anyway I decided to "service" them. The center caps had slid inward or become flush which is supposed to be an indicator the lube level was getting low. So I ordered bearings, seals, and lube from Waymire distributors and went to work. Got all four done but I still had a couple wheels slinging grease. Last summer the boat was in the shop for some work and I had them "repack all four wheels again. I still have a couple wheels slinging grease and want it fixed.

On my hubs you have to hand pack the bearings and the cavity and then slide the hub on, and then slide on the outer bearing, and then drive on the outer cap. The spindle has no grease zerk. It's a PITA. I want to take this trailer to a shop, preferably a wheel/trailer shop as opposed to a boat service/dealer. I live north of Portland so a shop in or around Nashville and or Bowling Green would be suitable. I want these wheels serviced "right" and be done with it for a few years. Anyone got suggestions for a shop that is well qualified to service my hubs ?
    GETFISHED !!!

2. Member
    I had the local Gateway Tire service the bearings on the family utility trailer. No leaks or other issues over the past couple years.

Where are they "slinging grease" ? If it is on the inner rim of the wheel the inner seals need to be replaced.

Not knowing your particular trailer, I can only offer the following......

Any boat trailer should have a means of adding grease to the bearings. This is most easily done with Bearing Buddy caps or a similar product. They also in theory keep positive pressure inside the hub and not allow water to intrude.

As for where to take it for service, I would still recommend that it be serviced at a GOOD and RELIABLE boat dealer rather than an automotive shop. Boat trailers are submerged in the water routinely and the maintenance and bearing installation is a bit different than a car.

4. Member
    It would be a bit of a drive for you, but I would recommend Marine Masters in Tullahoma. They build boat trailers there on the spot, and also service them. I know they build all of the Phoenix trailers for sure, among others. Friend of mine just went out there last week and picked up the parts to redo his trailer brakes. He said the lady in the front office was extremely helpful.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies . Seems like I could do this myself but I may have it done by someone more qualified.
    GETFISHED !!!

6. Member
    Mark Miller Marine in Glasgow, does excellent work.