Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

opinions on new G2

Hey Folks, Ive been planning to repower my 521 with the new Merc 4 stroke sense the day i bought it. It came with a non running 03 Ficht 225 HO. I have removed it and was planning to change brands. Well one of my oldest friends took a sales position with a relatively close Ranger dealer. I mentioned to him i was wanting to re-power and asked that he look around for a 250 Pro XS. No luck on that but what he proposed to me is why im asking for honest opinions.

His dealership has a new in the crate 2016 G2 250 in stock. I haven't found out why they still have it yet, but they will sell me this motor for 15K, it will come with 4 year warranty and 2K in rebates. He said riging would run around 3-4k with everything needed. That's about 4k under the closest mercury deal ive found so far. As mentioned i have been a merc guy for over 20 years and planned to continue to run a mercury. Before mercury's my last OMC product was a GT175 on my ole skeeter. Never really any issues other than it loved gas which most motors did in those days.

Ive been reading on here about 10 pages back on the G2's and the guys that respond all seam to love their G2's . But what im having a hard time understanding is why all the HATE out there from other anglers? FYI im not trolling, Im seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on this but everyone ive asked their opinion YELL'S STAY AWAY!!!!!! And thats what ive heard for as long as i can remember when asked about Evinrude as well.

Was there a time period where they were grenades and if so when were there issues resolved? Was 2016 one of those years? If i read correctly they were giving 7-10 year warranty's for a while. Was that to gain buyers back to evinrude or was there a real issue they had to work through?

My last concern is the fly by wire stuff on these, Is it proven and how reliable? I'm old school and cant understand how its better to be wireless when your running close to 70 mph on the water and it kind of scares me.

So please i want to hear the good and the bad.

2. Member
    I would take that in a heartbeat. No regrets for not going 4s here. My fuel economy savings will more than offset the oil costs. Most fuel efficient, cleanest running, best torque, best holeshot, best warranty.

If a company was having issues, the last thing they would want to do is extend the warranty. It was to try to win back guys. Worked on me. Also, the hate is because it’s not on the back of their boat. Period.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

3. Member
    the shift control runs it's own network cable but has a redundant backup on the nema network as well. I love mine - the rigging amount sounds a little high to me, but not sure what he is including in the rigging
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I would do a G2 in a second !! I've rode in two G2's and they are awesome....

5. Member
    g2
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    I got a new in box 2018 G2 in 2019. You're getting a hell of a deal! No regrets on my end. I replaced a blown 2000 Ficht 225 and the 200HO G2 kicks it's ass in every category. Well, except sound. I love loud motors and the Ficht screamed!

7. Member
    I just bought a leftover 2018 Evinrude G1 150HO and love it so far. The G2 should be even better! I got the 7 yr warranty. 2K rebate is only available on the G2s. If you check the Evinrude website the warranty portion for the current promotion is 7 yrs instead of the 4 yrs you mentioned. I would check into that for sure.

8. Member
    No regrets at all. Close to 150 hours now and all I've done is dump oil and fuel in it.

Make sure your dealer will stand behind it and is certified in servicing the G2. It's not a shade-tree mechanic type motor.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

Double check with the dealer. The present sales promotion is for 7 years of factory coverage for new motors plus a rebate
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

10. Member
    Repowered this summer with a G2 and love it. Simple install on boat and with electronics.
    2004 Ranger 521VX with 2019 Evinrude G2 250 H.O.

11. Member
    Joe, would you mind telling me what yours cost out the door? Message me if you dont wanna say on the forum. I meet with the service manager today and it sounds like its a lot of work to rig these. He mentioned that some of the seastar steering system was to much pressure for something inside of the motor and it may have to be changes along with the lines if they are not long enough. Did you have any issues with either of those? Also what display did you go with? There pricing me out the 4.5 touch. Is it big enough? It sounds like I wont even need any of may current gauges is that correct?

12. Member
    FTMS, i have the same boat. what did you do with your gauges are you able to use them? Ive been planning to do way with the porkchop main panel that controls everything because mine went bad and planned to go to key start and plain toggle type switches for all components but the manager said i may run into issues with the grounding on these switches.

13. Member
    Any G2 built in the last 3-4 years can use any helm. Only very early DPS1 versions could not use Pro helms. I am guessing the boat is an 03 if the engine ws so no matter what engine you put on it fitting a new helm to replace that 17 year old one would be wise and new hoses as well is cheap insurance and the pro flexiable hoses is what I fit. There is no reason if you had a bull horn hyd system on the DI the hoses would not work due to length, more so due to age and if they are those cheap and nasty rigid hoses.

Rigging a G2 is about as simple as it gets vs other brands, you have two cables (private and public network) going into the engine plus battery leads, hyd hoses and fuel line(making sure it also is not 17 years old and is 3/8 diameter). The screen is fine at 4.3 in my opinion and it is also very easy to add a drop cable from the NMEA-2000 network to link to a MFD for a bigger screen.

As others have said, I do not get your logic on warranty either, to me if any company making anything really had problems why would they extend and offer the longest warranty. To manufacturers warranty is money and you have heard fro actual owners that like them vs people you talk to that most likely have never used one that say different. I know how I would listen to. You do also realise the Merc is also DTS and have already had a recall on shift actuators.

I'll know next week when I pick up my repowered Stratos 201 XLE!! If the reports I'm getting are correct I'll be a happy camper!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dk239 View Post
    I'll know next week when I pick up my repowered Stratos 201 XLE!! If the reports I'm getting are correct I'll be a happy camper!
    Congrats! I’ll be shocked if don’t think it’s the best outboard you’ve ever owned.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dk239 View Post
    Make sure you take a selfie with that $hit eating grin on your face! You are going to love it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Make sure you take a selfie with that $hit eating grin on your face! You are going to love it.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    I saw a video of the holeshot and I'm grinning already, first wot run was 79.4!!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

19. Member
    Huey, Thanks for your response, there telling me 5k for rigging based on another repower they did on a triton. Heres what i have and id like your opinion. The wiring harness was cut off at the engine by vandals so no connectors as well as no main key pad at the console. Its a ranger and it had what the shops call a pork chop key pad which i do not want to go with due to issues they have had over the years. So i plan to just have a key to start it. The dealer told me i could remove all the wiring that used to go to the old motor as it wont be needed for the G2. He also said i wouldnt need any of my gauges. So i guess my question is why are they quoting so much for the install if its as easy as you say below? Will they have any issues say hooking up the trim switch at the bow to the new motor? When you buy a new G2 what all does it usually come with? They showed me a box full of parts that needed to be installed and i was assuming that it was a complicated process based on the 5K rigging charge

Rigging a G2 is about as simple as it gets vs other brands, you have two cables (private and public network) going into the engine plus battery leads, hyd hoses and fuel line(making sure it also is not 17 years old and is 3/8 diameter). The screen is fine at 4.3 in my opinion and it is also very easy to add a drop cable from the NMEA-2000 network to link to a MFD for a bigger screen.

20. Member
    dk239, Would you mind either message me or f your willing to let me know what your paying for your repower? more importantly the rigging cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast