Who all here Reloads for Rifle

have loaded a ton of pistol rounds but looking to do more rifle rounds and I really struggle to get a load worked up.
    looking for some tips on how you all might work a load up from scratch.

2. Member
    When looking for a load for a new rifle and/or barrel, I generally do one of 2 things;

#1.
    Research the 'rifle in that caliber' or the 'barrel in that caliber and length' (if it's a build and you used a known brand of barrel). I typically Google search it by '_______ most accurate load', '_______ best hunting load', or '______ match grade load'. I write every one of them down (the load details, the posters screen name, the website, and the date) just to see if I can find a consenses. It also tells me if the guy found a better load later down the road. This will usually land you a starting point. I also double check people's reloads against the reloading manuals before loading it for my rifle (which I'm sure you know that since you reload pistol). Even then, I typically start out in the middle of the reloading manual's recommendation of min-to-max just to make sure the load is going to play nice in my rifle, and then I raise it from there. Increments of increase are dependant on powder. As an example, some powders like H322 do not have a large min-to-max margin, powders like CFE223 can get pretty big swing.

#2.
    Over time you start acquiring favorite 'pet loads' and learn to just try them in the rifle. Once you hit on one, go from there (below) to fine turn it.

After #1 or #2 above, I then begin to:

A. play with powder charge ..... (like mentioned above) increment increase is dependent on the powder ........ see what gives me the best 5@100yds. I tend to stay within the manufacturers recommended limits. This is mainly b/c typically I can find a 'most accurate' before I hit max. And my experience is it doesn't burn out your barrel near as fast. Once I find the load, I might stretch it out to 300yds just to see if it does something stupid.

B. I change primers while keeping the same powder charge weight ...... but NOT from standard primer to magnum primer ...... that's a good way to get hurt. I mean like go from a standard CCI to a standard Winchester to a Federal Match to a Remington Benchrest.

When you really start getting into it, bullet seating depth plays a HUGH roll in it. For newbie rifle reloaders, I ALWAYS recommend going with the factory recommended OAL/COAL length. Once you learn how to measure bullet jump to the lands of the rifleing, then you can get into measuring your cartridges by ogive.

Just remember one thing ......... powder charge consistancy and bullet seating depth repeatability are 2 of the biggest keys to consistant accuracy when it comes to loads. Some guns can be really sensitive to other things as well ...... brass needs to be same brand, brass needs to be trimmed to same length, neck tension, bla, bla, bla ...... so just keep that in mind.

Hope it helps!
    -391v

PS: With all that said ......... don't be afraid to finally throw in the towel on a barrel!!!!!! I had one rifle that I bought brand new that never shot right (meaning you couldn't put 5 shots on a sheet of paper at 100yds). I put a new barrel in it and it immedately went to shooting .5"-.75". I've also had barrels that just NEVER will do any better than the 1"-1.25" @100yds that they do with multiple loads. What I'm trying to say is ..... It doesn't take long to burn $200 worth of ammo and there are some really good brand of barrels out there for about the same money.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

3. Member
    Oh yea ..... also don't forget to look the rifle over real good ..... if it's giving you inconsistant accuracy issues.

Things like;
    - is the barrel touching something inconsistantly, as in the stock might touch the barrel oneway vs another from shot to shot, or (heaven forbid) the rifle rest.
    - scope rings torqued properly.
    - do the scope rings need to be lapped.
    - mounting bases tight (torqued preferably).
    - are you mounting the rifle consistantly and applying the same pressure to the rifle the same way everytime.
    - are you shooting it in different weather extremes from day-to-day. (temp, wind, humidity)
    - are you allowing the barrel to remain cool enough to touch.

These are just a few things that can greatly affect rifles, especially 'sensitive rifles', when it comes to consistancy.

-391v

4. Member
    I just try different charges working from minimum to maximum and settle on whatever gets the best groups. If good accuracy is not obtained I bump the seating depth out closer to the lands. Once I had a rifle that did not shoot well until the lands were touching.

5. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I loaded 25 years ago. Just found all my stuff again lately. I had loaned some out. Not sure I will start again but might as I am building a 6.5 long range.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I just try different charges working from minimum to maximum and settle on whatever gets the best groups. If good accuracy is not obtained I bump the seating depth out closer to the lands. Once I had a rifle that did not shoot well until the lands were touching.
    I do similar. There's lots of good "known" loads for certain calibers, bullets, and powder combinations already out there. You can get lots of ideas from other reloaders at places like shooters forum. Also keep good written data, notes, and cut targets out and place them in your reloading diary to refer to later. It's nice to be able to go back months or years later and actually see a target that was a very nice group and have notes written next to it to tell you exactly what the recipe was and in what conditions you fired it.

I reload for everything I shoot except 9mm. It addictive, beware. You buy different bullets trying to see if you can improve and next thing you know you have quite a collection of bullets that don't group as good as your pet recipe.
    I just finished sizing and priming a bunch of 223 brass for my 6x45 . Bout out of my favorite bullets, gonna try another.

As for load development I usually check powder supply. Then I start out with groups by .5 gr increments. I go with Best group and refine from there. For ex. My 243 shoots best with 80 gr Sierra btsp with 37.5gr of imr 4895. Stayed with same recipe for 28 years.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    ... my 6x45 .
    EVERYTIME I extinguish the craving for one of these (like weeks later), SOMEONE has to bring it up everytime I turn around on various forums.

THANKS ALOT 'yetti' ....... THANKS ALOT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    EVERYTIME I extinguish the craving for one of these (like weeks later), SOMEONE has to bring it up everytime I turn around on various forums.

THANKS ALOT 'yetti' ....... THANKS ALOT!!!!
    My only gripe about the 6x45 is sizing the brass. It's not horrible just an extra step. Then when hunting after the shot I'm searching around trying to find the brass. If you get it, you'll like it. My upper has a BHW barrel and shoots great. The guy I bought it off of has inquired about buying it back. He has seller regrets. I'm rolling a 70 gr speer tnt right at 3000fps. Gonna load up some sierra 70 blitz tonight.

11. Member
    I know exactly what you're saying about 'making brass'. When I first got my Blackout, I was doing that too. LOL

I also know how you feel about 'wildcat brass hunting'. I got a 30RAR that I've been known to 'tear a place apart leaf by leaf' till I found it. The dang thing is so bottom heavy, and short, that it's guaranteed that you're looking at it neck up and staring at a 'black hole'.

THANKS for the info on the 6x45!!!! Now I'll ponder it at least till the weekend is over with. LOL