1996 Johnson 150 HP Flooding Issue

I have a 1996 Johnson Fast Strike 150 HP mod #J150GLEVE. I am have an issue after cold start and I believe it is a flooding issue but I will let y’all decide. After performing the normal cold start procedure on the motor and backing it off the trailer I will let the motor idle while parking truck or etc. Sometimes the motor will be dead when I return to the boat or sometimes I can be idling away from the launch and it will die, not spit and sputter out, it will just die like you hit the kill switch. You can smell gas coming from the motor. Once trying to start the motor again for a while it will crank back up and run the rest of the day without one single issue. It is only on the initial start up that it does this. I rebuilt all 6 carbs in the past 6 months and motor continues to do the same thing. Primer solenoid seems to be clicking but I was kind of leaning toward it maybe leaking more than enough fuel by on the initial start because once the motor is warm I do not have to use the choke the rest of the day. Any ideas?

thanks

2. Member
    I will let the pro's handle this one. I have one as well. Just wanted to welcome You on your first post. Please hold they will be here shortly.
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

3. Member
    Do you keep the motor level or slightly higher when you let it idle? You must keep the exhaust relief holes, on the back of the motor, out of the water at idle. On the primer solenoid, test for voltage at the primer with the ignition key in the on position, motor not running. You should have none, if voltage present, even in a small amount, possible bad ignition key, causing the primer to inject a small amount of fuel. Welcome to the forum.

4. Member
    Jughead,
    Thanks for the welcome guys. Yes the motor is usually level. Ok I will check voltage and correct me if I’m wrong but if it were the switch wouldn’t it allow the fuel to pass all the time just not on the first start of the day? Don’t want to seem like a know it all on a first post I’m just curious.
    Thanks

5. Member
    Yes, you are correct fuel would be injected, but a small amount would only be noticeable at idle. You were concerned about the primer so I thought you might want to check it out. Does the motor smoke a lot at idle speeds? I would get a real OMC service manual for this motor, you may be testing the ignition system. Stop circuit first.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If the maintenance valve is turned 90* away from the solenoid body fuel will flow all the time. It needs to be pointing straight towards the bottom of the body. Check the valve for cracks they will crack over time. I believe your V is actually a U making your model a 1997 and not a 96.

7. Member
    Ok I tested voltage at the primer and there was no voltage with key in run position. The motor does smoke at initial start and once I get it cranked back up after it dies but levels out and smokes like normal. I will check on getting a manual. Where would be a good place to get one?

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Either Ebay, www.outboardbooks.com or you can download one from this site. https://www.selffixer.com/outboard.m...ual.507268.htm

They all smoke on initial start up especially if the key is depressed to activate the primer solenoid. Extra fuel is shot to the intakes on both sides of the motor so between that, and the fuel in the bowls the rich mixture causes the extra smoke.

9. Member
    Champ,
    The valve on the primer is pointed down in the normal position. I actually tried turning it a few months back after launching the boat thinking it may have been starved for fuel and that was a mistake and that’s when I realized it was getting too much fuel rather than not enough. I looked at the top of the primer when I ordered the carb kits and was going to order one if it looked damaged or cracked but it all looks ok. Yes the V maybe a U I couldn’t tell what it actually was in the picture I took of the placard. But on the placard it says 1996 for the yr. I think I called boats.net when I ordered the carb kits and I do think you are right that must have been an error on the placard. Thanks.

10. Member
    Thanks for the info Champ, I will see if I can get a manual downloaded. Yes I have noticed that with most all 2 stroke engines. I usually always depress the key switch on initial start up. Do you think it would be worth a shot not to depress the key switch at all and see if it will start next time I take it out? When I pump the bulb you can hear the fuel filling the carb bowls so if they are full do you think that would be enough to get the motor to crank?

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Motor year changes in September so if a motor is produced on say 11/96 that would be for the 97 model year. OMC used the
    I N T R O D U C E S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 So a EU would be a 97.

I'd give it a try can't hurt. Listen to what Juggy offers up for advice he's well versed on the Eagle motors.

12. Member
    Ah hah that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the lesson I didn’t know that’s how they did it... I will try what I mentioned earlier and see what happens and let y’all know how it turns out.

13. Member
    Ok ran motor on muffs today. Started no problem but did have to depress the key switch to get motor to start. Motor ran for 3 minutes before it died (flooded out). Attempted to crank and clear extra fuel from cylinders to no avail. I decided to pump bulb to see whether it was hard or soft and see how it felt. When I squeezed the bulb I heard a click from one of the carbs best I could tell like it was a float reseating the needle. I went ahead and pulled all plugs on the port side of motor to see what they looked like and the top port cylinder seemed to be the dirtiest of the 3 plugs. Very wet and black. Cleaned all 3 plugs and put back it and she fired right up. Only thing I can think is that I keep the motor trimmed up while stored, is it possible that this could be causing my issues and I need to keep the motor trimmed down while not on the water?

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Click came from the VRO. Pressurized the fuel side of it. When it shuts down, drain a couple of the float bowls and see if fuel runs out, it may be fuel starvation. After it dies check the primer bulb for firmness. You can put a section of clear hose between the incoming fuel line and the fuel filter and watch for air bubbles in the line. The white nylon nut for the on board fuel filter may have a crack in it allowing air into the system also. Chapter two in the factory manual is for the fuel system and has excellent trouble shooting tips.