Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Good article Mike.
    When we started towing deep into Mexico years ago you had to be self sufficient. The only Mexican waters I fish anymore are on border lakes Amistad and Falcon.. I spend a lot of time on Amistad in the winter and still carry a few more items in the dry bag just in case you have to spend the night on the bank in a remote area.
    A couple of MRE's some waterproof matches and a can of sterno. I always carry a spare prop. And a spare nut-- I dropped one..
    As for the emergency pooper -- another reason to have an Allison.

The spare kill switch sounds good. However in an emergency the Merc's I've owned can be started simply by flipping the toggle switch back up.
    Thanks Mike, lots of good additions. I should go in and update the article with all the above suggestions
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing

2. Member
    Dude wipes

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mizmo View Post
    Dude wipes
    TP or wipes 100%
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Whisperer View Post
    A spare kill switch lanyard, in the glove box. If you get tossed out of the boat, the kill switch goes with you. If someone else is in the boat and you are on a river or somewhere where current is taking you away. They won't be able to start the big motor. They will only have access to the trolling motor.
    not with a mercury on back.
    2015 189 trx

5. Member
    More money to throw at that hole in the water !!!!!

6. Member
    Some good suggestions thanks. I always keep a pair of side cutters in the boat in case someone gets a crank bait hook buried deep. Push the hook barb back through the skin and clip it off and it comes back out really easy. A little antiseptic cream and your back to fishing in no time.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AR h20 View Post
    Some good suggestions thanks. I always keep a pair of side cutters in the boat in case someone gets a crank bait hook buried deep. Push the hook barb back through the skin and clip it off and it comes back out really easy. A little antiseptic cream and your back to fishing in no time.
    Use the side cutters to cut the split ring so all you have is one hook to deal with. Sometimes you have to cut the crankbait loop, and you lose the crankbait.

The string method can then be safely used.

8. Member
    As far as I know, the new engines will start with or without the lanyard, for the reason mentioned, if the driver goes overboard the engine will still start without the lanyard.

Try it, my Evinrude starts with or without the lanyard.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Mud View Post
    As far as I know, the new engines will start with or without the lanyard, for the reason mentioned, if the driver goes overboard the engine will still start without the lanyard.

Try it, my Evinrude starts with or without the lanyard.
    My Yamaha SHO does not. I've used a zip tie around the plunger where the lanyard would connect when the clip on the end of the lanyard broke. I had to cut it off when I got the boat on the trailer, but I got back to the ramp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12