Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why buy Xpress instead of Vexus or Ranger tin?

I am currently trying to decide between Xpress, Ranger and Vexus. The Vexus looks great, but will likely cost the most--and the front deck seems narrow if you use the seat. That said, why would you choose Xpress instead? I like the look of the boat, but the hatches are not sealed. Seems fit and finish are better with both Ranger and Vexus. Am I mistaken.

2. Member
    Hyper Lift hull.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    Proven to last. Dry ride. Hyper Lift Hull. Fast for aluminum.

The Vexus does look good and the fit/finish appears to be good. But only time will tell how they hold up over the years. There is a lot that can begin to fail on a boat after several years of trailering and pounding waves. Especially things on the interior that you dont think about until your seat post base comes loose from the deck or your compartment lids start coming loose from the deck, etc...

Not saying this has or will happen. Just saying only time will tell how they hold up. I do like the look of the vexus though. But love my x19.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

4. Member
    You get a Board for your brand and don't have to share with the other 'lumnie people or nasty fiberglass peeps?.?.?. j/k'ing

In all seriousness ....... I got a friend who bought a Vexus (aluminum, 19'/150) and passed his Ranger (aluminum, 18'/115) to his son. They both LOVE their boats. I had an '08 Xpress X19 w/200 and LOVED that boat. I had to do some tinkering with mine to make the compartments as 'water resistant' as I could. Water still came through the latches, but was minimal. With that said, the other 2 guys wish they could put the HP on the back of their Vexus/Ranger like Xpress does. I wish the Xpress had the fit/finish that the Ranger has, muchless the Vexus. Hull sweat in all aluminum boats is a concern in southern humid climates, especially if you don't open the lids often (read that as moldy smells, etc).

If I didn't fish as much big open water that is prone to heavy boat traffic wakes in the warmer months, I would still own my X19 ........ however, my bad back could not take the bobbing action. A lot of that came from the 10" hydraulic jackplate and 200 making the bow sit so high up in the air ..... as well as me adding 3 Group 31 AGM battereis to her. (stern heavy) But with that said, it's the same in all aluminum boats to my back as sensitive as it is these days ...... just the nature of the beast. I will say though, EVERYBODY that fishes with me has commented at some point at how my X19 was one of the best riding boats they have been in ...... and that's atleast over my 3 Ranger's (391v, 518vx, z520) and a Skeeter (ZX190), muchless their boat too. That comment usually came after a day of fishing that open water mentioned above. My X19/200 was probably one of the funnest boats I've owned (read that as 'sports car'). There was no holeshot, it just went! No joke, I even tried changing my warmer month fishing style just to keep the boat, it was that fun to drive. Wished I could have done it. ....... and now I'm back in fiberglass (z520 ....... which I have no regrets as well ...... mainly b/c it's like fishing off a dock it's so level, wide and solid). Do know that the aluminum pad hull boats are a different beast to master if you plan on getting the most out of it.

I will say ..... if you are going with an X19 ....... GET 200 HP!!!!!!!! The typical trend on this board has always been guys getting 'less than 200hp' mainly b/c they were trying to keep cost down and then they'd justify it as 'I don't need to go fast' .......... and 'typically' 2-3yrs later, majority of them say "I wish I had got the 200". Get the 200! Fuel consumption ain't that much different (running it on the lake at the same speed and/or towing it down the road). Also, do it for the resale if for nothing else. In 2014 I practically stole my X19 for it to only have 32hrs on it ......... and it was b/c it had a 115hp on it and nobody wanted it.

Here's a link to my 'tinkering' build thread for my X19. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=547323

Hope this helps.
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

5. Member
    The horsepower you can hang off the back of them and the hull as has been stated. Don't know of too many tin cookie cutter boats that will run 70+ and not scare the begesus out of you. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

6. Banned
    Bought my X19 new in 01 and she's still running strong. A little tweaking over the years for sure, but I'm fussy. Solid boat

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    You get a Board for your brand and don't have to share with the other 'lumnie people or nasty fiberglass peeps?.?.?. j/k'ing

In all seriousness ....... I got a friend who bought a Vexus (aluminum, 19'/150) and passed his Ranger (aluminum, 18'/115) to his son. They both LOVE their boats. I had an '08 Xpress X19 w/200 and LOVED that boat. I had to do some tinkering with mine to make the compartments as 'water resistant' as I could. Water still came through the latches, but was minimal. With that said, the other 2 guys wish they could put the HP on the back of their Vexus/Ranger like Xpress does. I wish the Xpress had the fit/finish that the Ranger has, muchless the Vexus. Hull sweat in all aluminum boats is a concern in southern humid climates, especially if you don't open the lids often (read that as moldy smells, etc).

If I didn't fish as much big open water that is prone to heavy boat traffic wakes in the warmer months, I would still own my X19 ........ however, my bad back could not take the bobbing action. A lot of that came from the 10" hydraulic jackplate and 200 making the bow sit so high up in the air ..... as well as me adding 3 Group 31 AGM battereis to her. (stern heavy) But with that said, it's the same in all aluminum boats to my back as sensitive as it is these days ...... just the nature of the beast. I will say though, EVERYBODY that fishes with me has commented at some point at how my X19 was one of the best riding boats they have been in ...... and that's atleast over my 3 Ranger's (391v, 518vx, z520) and a Skeeter (ZX190), muchless their boat too. That comment usually came after a day of fishing that open water mentioned above. My X19/200 was probably one of the funnest boats I've owned (read that as 'sports car'). There was no holeshot, it just went! No joke, I even tried changing my warmer month fishing style just to keep the boat, it was that fun to drive. Wished I could have done it. ....... and now I'm back in fiberglass (z520 ....... which I have no regrets as well ...... mainly b/c it's like fishing off a dock it's so level, wide and solid). Do know that the aluminum pad hull boats are a different beast to master if you plan on getting the most out of it.

I will say ..... if you are going with an X19 ....... GET 200 HP!!!!!!!! The typical trend on this board has always been guys getting 'less than 200hp' mainly b/c they were trying to keep cost down and then they'd justify it as 'I don't need to go fast' .......... and 'typically' 2-3yrs later, majority of them say "I wish I had got the 200". Get the 200! Fuel consumption ain't that much different (running it on the lake at the same speed and/or towing it down the road). Also, do it for the resale if for nothing else. In 2014 I practically stole my X19 for it to only have 32hrs on it ......... and it was b/c it had a 115hp on it and nobody wanted it.

Here's a link to my 'tinkering' build thread for my X19. http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=547323

Hope this helps.
    -391v
    Solid advice here!

Also, get the 200 lol
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

8. Member
    Got out of a 2014 rt178 into a 2017 x19 with the 200 sho. Was surprised how workmanlike the fit and finish is in the xpress compared to the little ranger but while that stuff is not it doesn’t really matter a whole lot in the end. I absolutely love that I have a 200 on back cause I live on a big lake and it allows to expand my reaches a lot easier than with a boat that topped out at 32!

Last edited by Cashew Chicken; 02-07-2020 at 10:20 AM.

10. Member
    I would choose the Xpress if speed was important to me.

Heavy hull, stronger hull and welds, faster, mfr that trusts their product enough to let you hang a believable motor on the back to name a few.

xpress x19, 200ho G2, aluminum sawtooth cut prop, paper sack tackle storage, ugly stik pro team, color c-lector

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by August west View Post
    Got out of a 2014 rt178 into a 2017 x19 with the 200 sho. Was surprised how workmanlike the fit and finish is in the xpress compared to the little ranger but while that stuff is not it doesn’t really matter a whole lot in the end. I absolutely love that I have a 200 on back cause I live on a big lake and it allows to expand my reaches a lot easier than with a boat that topped out at 32!
    It's a work boat

Go sit in all 3 and play with all the hatches, seats and such. Get the one that fits you. I love my old X19 but may sell it to get a deep v style boat for the family to enjoy better lake time.

I test drove the X19 with the 175 and instantly decided it needed the 200. This echos the advice already given regarding the 200 but I have come to believe Max Rec. HP should always be selected. I am live in Florida so my next bass boat will have to be a hybrid and aluminum offers a durability factor a notch above glass. The X has the more comfortable seating, most durable construction, most HP rating per class, largest fuel capacity, widest front deck, more leg room under console, etc...

There are other Aluminum lines that are nice but sitting side by side, The Xpress, Vexus and Ranger stand out. Of the big 3 Xpress checks the most boxes.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post
    I am currently trying to decide between Xpress, Ranger and Vexus. The Vexus looks great, but will likely cost the most--and the front deck seems narrow if you use the seat. That said, why would you choose Xpress instead? I like the look of the boat, but the hatches are not sealed. Seems fit and finish are better with both Ranger and Vexus. Am I mistaken.
    We have had 2 a X18/F150 Yamaha and the 06 X21TS we had a 250 HPDI Yamaha until last year and put a SHO 250 on it. We had the carpet replaced 2 years ago, at that time we seal all the edges around the decks to help keep out water and worked on the storage compartments to stop most of the water from getting.
    We could have bought a new boat but I know every little thing about my X21TS love the way it rides in ruff at Guntersville and other larger lakes.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

I looked at xpress. The rod box was the deal breaker for me. The boats in my budget would not hold a 8 foot rod. I really liked the dealer and it was next door to my office. I had a ranger Rt 178. I got a vexus. I loved the seadex and trailer on the express.

This is why you go with an Xpress!

Xpress X19/200SHO

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crankwv View Post
    I looked at xpress. The rod box was the deal breaker for me. The boats in my budget would not hold a 8 foot rod. I really liked the dealer and it was next door to my office. I had a ranger Rt 178. I got a vexus. I loved the seadex and trailer on the express.
    I’m currently in my 4th Xpress and 2nd X19 and the X19 rod locker will hold rods well in excess of 8’. I carry four 8’ crankbait rods at all times and have zero issues. I do recommend rod socks but there is plenty of room for 8’ rods. I’ve never been in a Vexus or Ranger tin but if your used to the ride and performance of a glass boat as I am the X19 or X21 series Xpress will be a very close match.

19. Member
    Does Xpress offer a swing away tongue on their trailers ?

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TR186AU View Post
    Does Xpress offer a swing away tongue on their trailers ?
    Yes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast