Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Why deal with a y cable when you when you can transom mount a GT50 and have the same performance of the GT30 and GT8 in one transducer? Maybe I'm missing your point haha.

Just realized... Gt8 is chirp high and Gt50 is mid band.... Guess a closer comparison woukd be GT15/30 on a y cable vs GT50.

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Why/Why not?? For me down here in the south, if you were to mount a transdcuer near the pad to get on plane readings, it wouldnt be long before it would be knocked off from stumps......so some of us go with the 2 ducer system......
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Well here in Missouri we have knocked 3 of them off2 on my boat and one on my buddies.When there’s logs and sticks floating from flooding you will run over them.

4. Member
    And usually performance is better with 2 transducers as well, since they can be placed and adjusted independently of eachother. «All in one»-transducers are for amateurs, or very small boats.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    I'm using the GT15/GT30 on my 12 at the console. Before then i had the GT15/34 on a 93 Plus and the 34 side vu SUCKED.....only good to about 30' and thats shallow water.....clear vu was great.......GT30 will get out 200' easy in both shallow and deep.....at this point, Garmin doesnt have a HD ducer to make me change out my GT30.

I went with the GT15 from a recommendation on here.....i'd think if i went with the GT8 i wouldnt have any issues either.....
    Just curious if your opinion on the GT34 would be the same on, say, a 8612 unit with better resolution? I ask because Brent Ehrler is running the GT34/GT8 in water 30-35 and switches over to the GT30 in deeper water. Hard to think that a GT34 sucks and him running one when I’m sure he could have whatever transducers he wants.
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Why/Why not?? For me down here in the south, if you were to mount a transdcuer near the pad to get on plane readings, it wouldnt be long before it would be knocked off from stumps......so some of us go with the 2 ducer system......
    That's interesting. My boat is an inboard jet, and I've had it stuck on gravel bars more than once, but never damaged/lost a transducer. I also run rivers during high water with lots of sticks/debris in the water. I've only ever owned jets...
    Maybe bass boats are different, but in my experience, your transducer should be just skimming the water surface when on step. Never had an issue with losing bottom even when on step.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Well here in Missouri we have knocked 3 of them off2 on my boat and one on my buddies.When there’s logs and sticks floating from flooding you will run over them.
    I can see the placement argument as an advantage for sure. Also interchangability, I suppose.
    Guess its the old adage "different strokes for different folks"

Either way... I sure love that GT50!

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Here’s one for you guys with a gpsmap get on the active captain and record the simulation or on the water sidescan with zoom on the unit ( say the pile of ties that comes across)and take a snap shot on your phone along with a pic on screen of unit.Theres a world of difference on my I phone .You can see almost every tire but on the unit it’s a blob of something.So it’s not the software it’s the screen pixels.

9. Member
    Very interesting!

10. Member
    Maybe? I always thought it was the scale thing. Looking at the SideVu on a 10 or 12 inch screen on the water, vs looking at the video on a 19" laptop. Try resizing the window on the computer to the measurements of the MFD screen. When I was running Lowrance I would get much better images splitting the SideScan with the left side full screen on one unit and the right side full screen on a different unit. Same resolution on each, different scale. More inches of screen per feet of water.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12