Thread: Tire rotation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanner101 View Post
    Fronts to back on my single axle trailer. If I had a dual axle I'd go criss-cross applesauce.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If your fronts are wearing faster with a short drive, I’d be looking for a problem with brakes, suspension or hitch height. I have 3 tandem axle trailers, never rotate tires on any of them and don’t experience any uneven wear. I check all of my tires during winter maintenance with a tread depth gauge to look for issues with alignment and see no significant differences.
    Yes my front axle is toed out a little but cheaper to put tires on it than new axle. I still can get 6 years out of them, and you are supposed to change out trailer tire every 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Yes my front axle is toed out a little but cheaper to put tires on it than new axle. I still can get 6 years out of them, and you are supposed to change out trailer tire every 4 years.
    I've got two axles in the barn that I've replaced.
    I pull enough miles that even with good axles and regular rotation they are worn out before their 4th year. So replacing a bad axle is cheaper in my case.

4. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Which would be better? Front to back or back to front?
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

5. Member
    I rotate mine 270 degrees around the trailer in a clockwise direction. Probably reverse that if you are in the Southern Hemisphere. Unless it’s a leap year, then I rotate it 180 degrees count-clockwise, with the trailer facing a heading of NNE in the months from January to June, face it WSW during the months of July to December. If the ground hog sees his shadow then side to side while trailer is in the shade. When it’s the year of the dragon on the Chinese calendar then I remove the tires go inside have my children re-stack them and go back outside and install them randomly on a hub. But I have Chinese tires, if you have American tires then have your wife randomly stack them then install them. I have done this for awhile and have not ever had a fishing trip where I got skunked.
    Last edited by leonreno; 02-14-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    I rotate mine 270 degrees around the trailer in a clockwise direction. Probably reverse that if you are in the Southern Hemisphere. Unless it’s a leap year, then I rotate it 180 degrees count-clockwise, with the trailer facing a heading of NNE in the months from January to June, face it WSW during the months of July to December. If the ground hog sees his shadow then side to side while trailer is in the shade. When it’s the year of the dragon on the Chinese calendar then I remove the tires go inside have my children re-stack them and go back outside and install them randomly on a hub. But I have Chinese tires, if you have American tires then have your wife randomly stack them then install them. I have done this for awhile and have not ever had a fishing trip where I got skunked.
    But what if it is cloudy outside?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenfuel View Post
    But what if it is cloudy outside?
    I don’t dare attempt such a procedure, it requires a donkey, a motor lift and Diet Pepsi. I only drink Diet Coke so I take it to the professionals if it’s cloudy outside.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonreno View Post
    I don’t dare attempt such a procedure, it requires a donkey, a motor lift and Diet Pepsi. I only drink Diet Coke so I take it to the professionals if it’s cloudy outside.

Tom Gates, 2005 Triton TR196DC LE, 200 Opti

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstbass View Post
    New to me is a duel axle trailer. I had it for 2yrs now. How do you rotate the tires for this set up. Front 2 back or do you X them from side 2 side Thanks
    I think the most import comment on this thread was replacing tires. You mentioned this is a new to you trailer, and you have had it two years. If the tires are more than 4 years old you should consider replacing. They will not look worn or have any noticeable problems, until they come apart driving down the road and tear your fenders up. I learned the hard way...

Tom Gates, 2005 Triton TR196DC LE, 200 Opti

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Or North Dakota, I will go front to back one time between 5,000 and 10,000, then between 12,500 and 18,000 I will take them front to back but all tires on opposite side
    I am just curious how you guys are keeping track of mileage on trailer tires? Or just more of an educated guess??

11. Member
    I keep a log of the lake I went to and round trip miles.
    The log also has engine hrs and fuel used that trip per merc monitor

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo400jk View Post
    I am just curious how you guys are keeping track of mileage on trailer tires? Or just more of an educated guess??
    Newer Ford trucks have settings for then a trailer is connected that show miles towed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12