Thread: Speed?

Question Speed?

Ok guys, I'm about to repower with a new Mercury Pro XS 250 4stroke. Its going on a 2004 Triton Tr21 X series. I was running a 04 Merc 250 XS (boat does have a hydraulic jack plate) and had seen 80mph a few times but it was steady at 77-78. What kind of speed can I expect out of this new motor and what's the best prop? Thanks in advance!

2. mikesxpress
    You will be repowering from an early 2 stroke which was one of the better performing 250's so your speed "may" increase slightly based on my experience where I repowered my 2009 Ranger Z21 Intracoastal with the V8 in July 2018. After working thru prop selection and blade truing, the 23P Fury 3 blade gives me the necessary 6200 rpms during summer months and a 24P Fury 3 blade in the cooler weather. Average gain of 2-3 mph for me
    (71-74 mph WOT). I believe your hull is significantly lighter and is a totally different design so your results will vary. You will have to re-learn driving the boat as everything (PTP, trim, jackplate) setting are all going to change.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanford72 View Post
    Ok guys, I'm about to repower with a new Mercury Pro XS 250 4stroke. Its going on a 2004 Triton Tr21 X series. I was running a 04 Merc 250 XS (boat does have a hydraulic jack plate) and had seen 80mph a few times but it was steady at 77-78. What kind of speed can I expect out of this new motor and what's the best prop? Thanks in advance!
    I have basically the same boat as you excepting mine is an 05 TR-21X and I just repowered with a 250 Pro XS 4 stroke. I'm running a 26*Tempest+ with all three holes plugged. I haven't ran it to WOT yet but the installing dealer did and he said he was running 80 and still climbing when he let off. I've hit 75 several times but I haven't tried for 80 yet, and probably won't! The only issue I have is that I get some blow out when the bow drops getting up on plane but I trim up quickly and it seems to grab Ok. I've been looking for a 25* 4 blade Fury or other 4 blade prop to see if that would help with the blow out I'm getting. I can lower the motor and it doesn't blow out and raise the motor back up once on plane. It works good doing that, just a little aggravating to do. Just as with the Opti, this hull likes the motor high on the transom. Seems to run best at around 21/2" below the pad which is the same distance to pad as the Opti.

4. mikesxpress
    Billy the dealer ran it to 80? They did the 10 hour break in before they did that? No mention of the rpms at that speed?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Billy the dealer ran it to 80? They did the 10 hour break in before they did that? No mention of the rpms at that speed?
    He did that setting the throttle, or to confirm proper setting. He said he was turning around 6200 if I remember correctly, and no, the break in was not completed at that time, but he only held it there for less than a minute. Running at WOT for a minute is part of the break in procedure so all should be well. When I got the motor, it had around .5 hours on it so he did run it at varying RPM's a little prior to WOT. This guy is a master merc tech and is highly regarded in this area as the best Mercury tech around so I'm confident he knows what he's doing. I've got a little over 11 hours on it now and it's running perfect.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should perform similar or perhaps even slightly better. You will NOT be running a 26P prop on that rig, if you have it set up correctly.

More than likely you'll need a 24P Fury (good starting point).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    He did that setting the throttle, or to confirm proper setting. He said he was turning around 6200 if I remember correctly, and no, the break in was not completed at that time, but he only held it there for less than a minute. Running at WOT for a minute is part of the break in procedure so all should be well. When I got the motor, it had around .5 hours on it so he did run it at varying RPM's a little prior to WOT. This guy is a master merc tech and is highly regarded in this area as the best Mercury tech around so I'm confident he knows what he's doing. I've got a little over 11 hours on it now and it's running perfect.
    Some one I think fibbed to you
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Some one I think fibbed to you
    From the FAQ Section:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....9#post10598159

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor