Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar

Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center

My wife and I would like to do a day trip from Toledo Bend to the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center between now and mid-April. Is there a time in here that is better to go than others? We sent an email to them a few weeks ago but have not heard back so thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.....
    Doug
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

2. Bobby8
    Doug, not sure on that but I would just give them acall.

Doug, have visited several times anytime is a good time. Here is the phone number and website just give them a phone call
    (903) 676-2277

https://tpwd.texas.gov/spdest/visitorcenters/tffc/

Debra

4. Member
    Doug, I worked down the road from them in Athens. Visit their website as they have an outdoor tram tour that runs several times daily...

That place is a good time. We go once a year for the past 12 years. Bring your own gear, their rods are beat to heck. We catch lots of catfish and some nice bass in the smaller ponds on road runners. It's defiantly a good time!

6. Member
    We went last fall and I was actually disappointed. The tram tour circles some outdoor ponds but you can't see anything but water, so no thrill there. The diver feeding fish was definitely the most interesting thing we saw. The video shown beforehand was probably filmed when I was in high school, so it was just a bit outdated. They didn't have any Sharelunkers on site as they obviously wouldn't be spawning that time of year. Maybe by mid April they would have some turned in that you could see, but I don't know if they would let people into the spawning area as it might interfere with the process. They do have some hellacious gar in some of the outdoor displays, and then replicas of all the Sharelunkers which are impressive to say the least. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by katyag; 02-07-2020 at 06:02 PM.