Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help Weird Wiring failure on my 1991 Evinrude 200 hp XP

In my 1991 champion 201 f&s ....Ok I just started my motor on water muffs to show it to a potential buyer and it started great ran fine shut it off perfect. So it was starting to rain so He wanted to do a compression test and I pulled it back in the garage. He pulled the cover off and he said when I put this compression tester on pull the kill and then hit the key I said sure no problem. So I started the motor and it started with the kill switch unplugged and I couldnt even stop the motor with the key....we had to start pulling plugs until it died.....tried it again and the same problem......Ive never had this problem before....we check our kill switches every tourney..which is about very month.....what the heck?

The "kill switch" grounds the black/yellow wire. Check the ground wire and the black/yellow for continuity when the key is turned off. Often you will find a broken pin in one of the rubber connectors for the black/yellow on the back of the motor.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

3. Member
    Im thinking its more of a ignition switch problem.....would you agree. I cant shut the motor off while its running....Starts up great ...I stopped it twice last night with the key but then after those two times it never shut off the motor again... If the ignition switch is messed up would that effect the kill switch not stopping the motor as well? Thanks G

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Broken ground wire (black) or Kill switch wire black/yellow on the back of the ignition switch. You could have pressed in on the key to choke it out that would have worked too.

Likinmo, will you post what you found when you get your problem fixed? I have a similar problem and could use the help. Thanks

6. Member
    Yes Im trying a new switch tonight

7. Member
    My mind never works that quick ChampioNman lol!!

8. Member
    Ok the new switch didn't fix the problem. Its still doing the exact same thing so now I'm really gonna have to dig into it.

Well I checked all the wiring plugs, no broken pins in any of them, installed new ignition switch and put new ends on all the wires going to it, new selinode, new starter and pinion on mine, model # J150ILECR 98 150 Fitch, I will finish putting it all back together this weekend and hope that fixed the problem. Seahorse, Championman, anything else you can think of that might be causing this problem on these engines? I will post if the problem is fixed when I get it all put back together this weekend. Thanks

10. Member
    How does the ground wires get back to the motor. Do they run underneath in your bilge area or do they run on your battery floor level....cause I went bilge diving before all of this started happening which means I took all my batteries out and my floor to get into the bilge area to fix a leaky hydro air pump... but When I had it hooked up to my Water hose it turned on and off just fine, then when I pulled into the garage and was gonna do a quick compression check is when all of the not wanting to shut off the motor and kill switch would not work...Is that a huge coincidence or was it getting a ground from my water? Im lost here

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The motor has a harness and the boat side has a harness they join at the motor in the starter area. It should run thru your splash well boot. The grounds are connected at the starter on a separate stud on the side of the starter along with the battery ground.

12. Member
    If your kill switch and ignition switch circuit checks out, both goes to ground when pulled and in off position. You probably have a bad power pack, this is all explained in your OMC service manual on how to test the stop circuit.
    Last edited by 316jughead; 02-11-2020 at 08:24 AM.

13. Member
    I can put a ground lead into my black/yellow going into the pack and it will not allow the motor to fire....so I think that means the pack is good correct?

14. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldfishinfool View Post
    Well I checked all the wiring plugs, no broken pins in any of them, installed new ignition switch and put new ends on all the wires going to it, new selinode, new starter and pinion on mine, model # J150ILECR 98 150 Fitch, I will finish putting it all back together this weekend and hope that fixed the problem. Seahorse, Championman, anything else you can think of that might be causing this problem on these engines? I will post if the problem is fixed when I get it all put back together this weekend. Thanks
    Trammel, his is a carbed engine and yours is a Ficht....Start a seperate post and let the guys help you....

15. Member
    Doesn't the kill circuit on these motors allow you to start the motor back up after it's been shut down with the kill switch?

16. Member
    Found my problem it was the kill switch connector going into the power pack wasnt making a connection under the rubber clip

17. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by likinmo View Post
    Found my problem it was the kill switch connector going into the power pack wasnt making a connection under the rubber clip

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

18. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Creek Ranger View Post
    Doesn't the kill circuit on these motors allow you to start the motor back up after it's been shut down with the kill switch?
    Not on his setup, he has the old plunger style where the lanyard needs to be connected to the switch.

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Good deal!

BINGO !

Was the pin loose or the wire pulled out of the terminal? That was the round rubber connector that I mentioned in my earlier post, right?
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast