Dock shooting rods

What rods are the best for shooting docks with? I have watched several videos but they don't give the best info on best rods and lengths that tend to work best. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
    Polar Kraft TX195/Suzuki 200/52" Ultrex MDI

2. Member
    Guys around here are using about 5' ultralight, cant help with brands. We just skip our baits on the docks here, and distance is not a problem and its faster. . Seen too many hooks in the fingers by shooting, sooner or later they get sloppy. No thanks
    Last edited by brushsjigs; 02-08-2020 at 03:16 PM.

3. T Dub
    I use 7’ shooters - I want to be able to shoot as far as possible when needed

4. Member
    The video I watched the other day was using a B&M Sharpshooter rod.
    '06 Procraft 205 Pro Mercury 225 Optimax

5. Member
    I have thought about trying this too. I would think 5 foot or less, and thinking of trying a light ice fishing rod. May be too short though.
    Praying for a Cure

6. Member
    I use Wally's 7' Speed Shooter. It's a light power with a fast action. I get great range with it and am happy. I shoot a lot and always hold the head with the hook turned toward the rod. You bout have to work to get stuck like that. Now, you can drive one into your calf trying to get a crazy angle--or so I am told.

7. T Dub
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    I use Wally's 7' Speed Shooter. It's a light power with a fast action. I get great range with it and am happy. I shoot a lot and always hold the head with the hook turned toward the rod. You bout have to work to get stuck like that. Now, you can drive one into your calf trying to get a crazy angle--or so I am told.
    I use the exact same rods and just bought 2 more for this year. I also hold the head the same way and have never (in 20 years of dock shooting) hooked myself

8. Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up buying a 6'3" st croix medium light extra fast rod to give this a try with. We'll see how it goes.
    Polar Kraft TX195/Suzuki 200/52" Ultrex MDI