Update on the new 4 stroke

Hello all, I currently run a 250 sho which I am happy with. I am in the market for a new boat and the dealer I am wanting to use is a merc dealer only. I was wondering how many hours you have on your 250 pro xs 4 stroke and if you have had any problems. Also what you like or don't like about it. If anyone has had both and can add your thought that would be appreciated also. Thanks

2. Member
    I repowered my 08 Basscat with a 250 pro xs 4s and I have no complaints. I have almost 150 hours on it and the only problem I've had with it was one of the recalls. Dropped it off at the shop and had them do it while they serviced it. I love the motor, holeshot it great, it will pin you back in your seat with mid range power, and the fuel economy is great. Plus the sound of them when they start up is unmatched

90 hours on a 250R.. mine was also in the recall same as one above- half day in the shop and back on the water. So far nothing but impressed.. The torque is crazy-- It has a better hole shot than my old 300XS and will run as fast as I care to go anymore. I've owned a lot of different Merc's in the last 30 years and this ones a keeper.
    With that said I've never been onboard a SHO powered rig so I can't compare to one.

4. Member
    I have 100 hours on my 250 Pro XS 4 stroke.... as the others stated no issues other than 2 recalls which were just corrected during my 100 hr service. I like the motor a lot and have zero complaints about the performance. I also owned a 250 SHO and loved that motor also. Mercury has an advantage in my area though in terms of service. It was hard to find someone to service the Yamaha. I did it myself which was fine.

Just re-powered my blown 2011 250 SHO with 240 hours on it. Since I averaged only 30 hrs per year for the past eight years; I was more than disappointed with Yamaha's "you're out of warranty" replies, and putting a new SHO was priced at $23,000 from my local dealer. Called Duck River Marine and priced a new 250 Merc 4S and have not put it on the water yet. Brian stated that there is a problem with the SHO holding water and not draining completely unless I lowered the motor and started it just to blow the water out. For the first 7 years I stored it inside, but this year we moved to the lake and I left it on the boat lift and the water froze and cracked the head and when started, shattered the pistons as well. I didn't know that I needed to do that and I keep it trimmed up slightly so I wouldn't bump the boat lift frame. Before this costly mistake; I had nothing but good things to say about the SHO. But in most things, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...shame on me. Hopefully, this new 250 Merc 4 stroke that Duck River Marine put on my Phoenix will outlast the 240 hrs I had on the SHO.

no disrespect meant to Nikldac, however if you dont get the water out of ANY engine, and leave it in freezing temps you are going to continue to have major issues...
    trimming the motor down helps the lower unit to drain, but it still will not prevent certain pockets from holding water...
    running motor while out of the water is not a great option either, because its really bad on the water pump...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    no disrespect meant to Nikldac, however if you dont get the water out of ANY engine, and leave it in freezing temps you are going to continue to have major issues...
    trimming the motor down helps the lower unit to drain, but it still will not prevent certain pockets from holding water...
    running motor while out of the water is not a great option either, because its really bad on the water pump...
    No problem Adam. As I had stated, Brian from Duck River Marine, stated this was a problem with SHO's. When I trimmed it up for the boat lift; it was a slight trim...not all the way up, but because I didn't drop it all the way down and start it to blow the water out....oopps. I also asked him if the new Merc 4s had the same problem and he stated "no". Hopefully, he's right...but I'll be more careful in lowering the motor all the way down and letting it drain...I hope.

8. Member
    I always let mine down all the way, on the ramp, and let it drain, then I raise it up. As I raise it up, more drains out, not sure how that works. Anyway, if you just raise it up, put in your transom saver and go, there will be water left somewhere.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJJ View Post
    I always let mine down all the way, on the ramp, and let it drain, then I raise it up. As I raise it up, more drains out, not sure how that works. Anyway, if you just raise it up, put in your transom saver and go, there will be water left somewhere.
    I do the same thing, Dr JJ, at the ramp. But this is on my home lake and putting it back on the boat lift.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikldac View Post
    I do the same thing, Dr JJ, at the ramp. But this is on my home lake and putting it back on the boat lift.
    Ah, I see. Yeah, that’s tough to figure out a solution.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

11. Member
    Around 150 hours on my 250 pro xs 4 stroke on a 2350 Ranger Bay. As others have stated, hole shot is awesome and mid-range torque changing speeds will put your back into the seat. It's ran great so far and also had the standard recall of the shift actuator being replaced. While they did that they noticed a harness wire being pinched along the cowl so they replaced it and re-routed the wiring. When you fire that motor up everyone around you turns in fascination. It's not loud (to me at least) when running but that initial start up is music to my ears. I can't compare to another engine though since it wasn't a repower. Based on my experience with it so far I'd definitely recommend.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The good news is that the V8 Owner's Manual has instructions for how to store the engine (both in the water, and out of the water).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor