Retiring to East TN and need advice on best locn central to fishing, etc

I am planning to move to East TN this spring and am trying to finalize the general area. Currently looking at Farragut/Tellico Village area and have visited. I like the fact that this area is central to the nine surrounding lakes. Requirements are: 1) reasonably close to hospitals and shopping (planning for access when I am 75-80), 2) close to a lake with ability to drive to others and 3) good Church in area. My plan is to fish 2-3 times/week for bass and striper. My idea is that I can live in one area and drive to the different lakes--so wake up in the morning and decide which lake suits me for that day.

Anyone recommend a different area that fits this criteria? I'd like to be outside the city, but close enough so going to the supermarket does not take 30 minutes. The wife will not live in an area too far from shopping as she does not want a far drive.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post
    I am planning to move to East TN this spring and am trying to finalize the general area. Currently looking at Farragut/Tellico Village area and have visited. I like the fact that this area is central to the nine surrounding lakes. Requirements are: 1) reasonably close to hospitals and shopping (planning for access when I am 75-80), 2) close to a lake with ability to drive to others and 3) good Church in area. My plan is to fish 2-3 times/week for bass and striper. My idea is that I can live in one area and drive to the different lakes--so wake up in the morning and decide which lake suits me for that day.

Anyone recommend a different area that fits this criteria? I'd like to be outside the city, but close enough so going to the supermarket does not take 30 minutes. The wife will not live in an area too far from shopping as she does not want a far drive.
    I live in the area you've mentioned above. It certainly checks all those boxes. You might also look around in Lenoir City and Louisville/Maryville. Good luck with your search and move.

There are numerous areas on the TN River chain that fit your requirements. I've fished those rivers for 40 years, and I'd rank them in order ......

(1) Chickamauga
    (2) Watts Bar
    (3) Nickajack
    (4) Fort Loudoun
    (5) Tellico Lake

After saying that ...... It all depends on whether you prefer trophy fishing or easy numbers. For numbers it would be difficult to beat Nickajack (Chattanooga area) and the scenery is awesome. But for trophy fishing Chickamauga and Watts Bar get the nod.
    After living on Chickamauga for several years I can honestly say that I would prefer to be close to things that I needed like health care and other interests. It is only an hour drive from Chattanooga to Watts Bar or Ft Loudoun. I'd much prefer Chattanooga to Knoxville. Far less traffic and has everything to offer.

4. Member
    Moved here in September 2019 and moved to Loudon, the spots you looked at are great and central to all and like the other person said, Lenoir City is good too. I can be on the Tennessee River/Watts Bar Lake in 6 miles to the ramp and 20 mins to Loudon Lake and Tellico. Chickamauga is less than an hour down the highway. Lenoir City is close to shopping for the wife as is Farragut. Enjoy

The Farragut area sounds like it would be a good choice for you with what you are looking for. Several churches ranging from quite large to small in the area and multiple lakes with in 30 minutes. I see you mentioned Striper fishing, below Melton Hill and Ft Loudon are excellent choices for that and would be in the 30 minute or less for you in the Farragut area. Park West hospital is one of the more popular Hospitals in the area and would be with in 15-30 minutes depending on the area of Farragut you choose. Happy house hunting.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

6. Member
    East Tennessee is full I hear New Jersey has great fishing. ��

7. Banned
    Decatur/Meigs county is an area to consider also. Real close to the river and hospitals are only 10 miles or so away in Dayton and Athens via highway 30.

Bill

8. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    I live in Lenoir City and its not bad. The only downside is all of the Yankees moving here and driving up the housing prices.

9. Member
    Thanks for all the responses. I spent the last two weeks house hunting in the area. We now have a contract on a house in the Tellico Village area. So, If nothing falls thru, I will be in Tennessee by end of April.

One thing that I forgot to mention concerning my reason for moving out of Texas. All the fishing guides in this area got together and started a petition to have me move out of the state. It seems that I catch so many fish, that I've been making them look bad. They cannot handle the competition! No kidding....I've caught up to FOUR fish in a single day......

Dan, you will love the Tellico area. Tellico Lake is great for numbers and it joins Fort Loudoun which is loaded with smallmouth and largemouth as well. And if you like to trout fish on occasion the Tellico River has a good population. Enjoy your new surroundings.

11. Member
    Guess you'll have to change that user name, Dan. lol. Fish are showing interest on Tellico and should be wide open when you get here. You may even be able to break your single day "record". Hope everything works out well for you all.

12. robdy72
    Quote Originally Posted by TexomaDan View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I spent the last two weeks house hunting in the area. We now have a contract on a house in the Tellico Village area. So, If nothing falls thru, I will be in Tennessee by end of April.

One thing that I forgot to mention concerning my reason for moving out of Texas. All the fishing guides in this area got together and started a petition to have me move out of the state. It seems that I catch so many fish, that I've been making them look bad. They cannot handle the competition! No kidding....I've caught up to FOUR fish in a single day......
    4 fish in a day, now your just bragging.

13. Member
    Sorry! I'm also planning to relocate to East Tennessee.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    I live in Lenoir City and its not bad. The only downside is all of the Yankees moving here and driving up the housing prices.