Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First time on water in new boat

Had a beautiful super bowl Sunday and I have been itching to put new cougar in water and start motor break in.
    We had a pretty good chop on lake but I just can't say how much I like this boat .
    It jumps right out of the water and just wants to go after we got our first 2 hours on I decided it was time to trim it up and let her run a little. Just can't say how much I love this boat.
    You guys told me they were fast and I experienced that first hand I seen 70 plus on speedometer and I felt like she had more but for first time out that's plenty fast for this old man. WOW

2. Member
    If it is set up right, you got about 8-10 MPH left possibly a squeak more ! They are nice rides man. The new 4S is a beast.

3. Member
    Good for you! My new girl is still sitting in the garage patiently waiting for me to take her south for some open water. Still waiting for the new motorguide to arrive also so taking her out for her maiden voyage without a tm is not something I am comfortable doing in the winter. What motor and prop do you have?
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

4. Member
    Just be safe out there, and if this is your first Cat, give yourself some seat time. Like mentioned, you have 8-10 more mph in that rig. Although I no longer need a 20 foot boat, the Cougar that I had was my favourite model. I remember the pics of your new rig and it is a beauty.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Congrats and enjoy. They are fun to drive.
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

6. Member
    Mercury pro xs 250 4 stroke with fury 24

7. Member
    I’m running exactly the same.
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

8. Member
    That's awesome. Glad you love it. Like someone else said, take your time and get plenty of seat time in before pushing the limits. I have a 2017 Cougar FTD. What does the "SP" stand for?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    That's awesome. Glad you love it. Like someone else said, take your time and get plenty of seat time in before pushing the limits. I have a 2017 Cougar FTD. What does the "SP" stand for?
    Yes I have a lot of respect for this boat , I have owned fast boats in past but this boat is crazy quick getting to speed.
    From what I understand SP stands for Special Package

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    Trapper is correct, sp=special package. It’s just a set list of options like power poles, graphs etc at a reduced price for cougar/puma and Pantera II. They switch up models that can get the sp sometimes. Go to BassCat.com and you can see the options.
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

11. Member
    You want to see some speed? Come down to Lay Lake SOON. Was down there today (son talked me into it and I failed to look at ala power data). They were dumping over 60,000 CFS over through the floodgates, and were running 6 turbines for another 32000CFS. I tried to idle up river (normally run 5-6 mph idling) and was slowly losing ground. Took off down river and broke 85 on a bot that legitimately runs 76-78 with just me. Of course running upriver was a completely different thing. :)

We didn't fish much, way too hard. If we drifted down-river we were doing 4-5mph in some places. T.M. can't take us upriver in that. Which means you get hung in stumps, you have to break it off as the only way to get up in there is with the big motor which I won't do.

Amazing to see the water running like that...
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

12. Member
    Trapper54....I have the same setup as you and just did my first 2 hours last weekend.
    I had the boat half full of fuel and just me and my brother in the boat. Did you have and problem with bow rise on the holeshot?

The bow went straight up before breaking over.....

Thanks

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper54 View Post
    Mercury pro xs 250 4 stroke with fury 24
    It is so crazy to think that the 250 is running a 24. what kind of rpm's are you guys turning?
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

14. Member
    5800-5900 is what I remember seeing, but we were not trimmed up that much 70-72 mph wot

Congratulations on the new ride. I'm in the process of breaking in my 2020 Lynx 300 Mercury. These 4 strokes are simply awesome!

16. Member
    That is the setup I’m running this year.
    Would appreciate knowing what your numbers look like.

Mike Whitten

17. Member
    Were you trimmed all the way down, when you started to accelerate?

Mike, let me get the motor broke in, I have some prop ideas. Will share with you at OI.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2013sabre View Post
    Trapper54....I have the same setup as you and just did my first 2 hours last weekend.
    I had the boat half full of fuel and just me and my brother in the boat. Did you have and problem with bow rise on the holeshot?

The bow went straight up before breaking over.....

Thanks
    No it just jumps up on plane and just starts pulling like a dragster is the only way I can explain the feeling. We had both tanks topped off with just me ang grandson in boat , I never really got it trimmed up much just was trying to make motor work and keep Rams down by it being new motor,hoping for another good day to get out and run it some more.

20. Member
    Trapper54.....I am not sure if this makes any difference, but do you have any holes plugged in your prop?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast