Transducer -Transome/jackplate placement

Need to install external transducer on a 20xd ---hate idea of putting screw in transom-------If I put it on jackplate -----need some picts to where best to mount ---any input welcome ---picts tell a thousand word!!!!! thanx to all

2. Member
    I have no idea how to post pictures but mine is mounted directly to the bottom of my Jack plate. I was not going to put holes in my transom either. I have a skid plate on the bottom of my Jack plate, just centered it up in it. I can text you a picture if you want, pm me your number.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyG.Mo View Post
    I have no idea how to post pictures but mine is mounted directly to the bottom of my Jack plate. I was not going to put holes in my transom either. I have a skid plate on the bottom of my Jack plate, just centered it up in it. I can text you a picture if you want, pm me your number.
    Me too. For me, I put it dead center (left to right) and as far forward as possible or as far away from lower unit as possible. They make brackets that mount on side of jackplate too but those cost $100-175.

Second tip of the day. Bring a level to the lake and while at idle place the level on the gunnel next to you and use whatever to continue to lift the rear of the level up until is level. Many people use pennies. Then use the same amount of pennies at home, but you can use anything. I'd suggest something about 1.5" to start and then build up from there with pennies or washers. Then duplicate that at home and then raise tongue jack until level is same as at idle on lake, then adjust your transducer to be level at that same spot. All boats idle nose up, but ours really do. It blew my mind how high I had to come in my driveway to duplicate the lake level while idling.
    Last edited by barbarian; 02-04-2020 at 05:46 PM.

4. Member
    C Bailey makes a jack plat hole shot plate that has the mount built into it. Very good quality.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Me too. For me, I put it dead center (left to right) and as far forward as possible or as far away from lower unit as possible. They make brackets that mount on side of jackplate too but those cost $100-175.

Second tip of the day. Bring a level to the lake and while running place the level on the gunnel next to you and use whatever to continue to lift the rear of the level up until is level. Many people use pennies. Then use the same amount of pennies at home, but you can use anything. I'd suggest something about 1.5" to start and then build up from there with pennies or washers. Then duplicate that at home and then raise tongue jack until level is same as at idle on lake, then adjust your transducer to be level at that same spot. All boats idle nose up, but ours really do. It blew my mind how high I had to come in my driveway to duplicate the lake level while idling.
    I used my smart level for this, checked it while idling and you are right, I had a hard time getting it high enough in my shop.
    Bullet 21XD, 250 PRO XS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlt20xd View Post
    C Bailey makes a jack plat hole shot plate that has the mount built into it. Very good quality.
    That depends on which jackplate he has. Believe Bailey gets them from UBP. I have the adjustable on my hydrodynamics now but fixing to swap to a Bobs hydraulic and nobody makes and adjustable hole shot plate/transducer mount for it. I am going to have to use the Lowrance adjustable bracket and bolt to directly to the plate.

if the OP is looking to mount a scan transducer the jackplate method is fine but if he is looking to mount a 2D/std sonar transducer for 2D while running then the jackplate option is no good.

7. Member
    [QUOTE=Sleepy111;10835903]That depends on which jackplate he has. Believe Bailey gets them from UBP. I have the adjustable on my hydrodynamics now but fixing to swap to a Bobs hydraulic and nobody makes and adjustable hole shot plate/transducer mount for it. I am going to have to use the Lowrance adjustable bracket and bolt to directly to the plate.

if the OP is looking to mount a scan transducer the jackplate method is fine but if he is looking to mount a 2D/std sonar transducer for 2D while running then the jackplate option is no good.[/QUOTE
    My question is refering to a mounting site for low speed scanning ----JDB

8. Member
    Anyone mount the t-ducer to jackplate that has NO hole shot plate??????--like mine

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdb21867 View Post
    Anyone mount the t-ducer to jackplate that has NO hole shot plate??????--like mine
    yes on my last boat, but you need something like this

https://www.fishntech.com/shop_brackets.html

10. Banned
    I 2nd or 3rd the contact Chris Bailey or Transducer Shield and Save suggestions... Chris made an awesome transducer mount on the skid plate he made for me, and I've used Transducer Shield and Save mounted to the side of my jackplate on 4 of my previous boats. Can't go wrong with either... Dan

11. Member
    I am a machinist by trade and fabricate anything needed. BUT would like to copy something known to be "GOOD". Got any pictures?????

12. Member
    Go to the link I posted or Russell Marine