Thread: Don weed

Don weed

Hey Don, you sent me the vessel view and I LOVE IT!! With that said, quick question. What do I need to be able to get oil temp? It reads -6 all the time. Also, are these gauges 100% accurate? Vessel view show my max rpm today wide open throttle was 5,430..... my stock tach has always reads 6,000-6,100....... just trying to make sure vessel view cannot be wrong before I start doing what needs to be done to get RPMS up. I do not have a jack plate.... my boat is a 2018 trx189 with mercury 150L 4 stroke with 21 tempest.

2. Banned
    Time for a prop change and a possible height adjustment. The VV has the correct numbers. IIRC, no provision for oil temp in many engines.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    Time for a prop change and a possible height adjustment. The VV has the correct numbers. IIRC, no provision for oil temp in many engines.
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I really wish I would have done a jack plate. There are ppl with this exact boat that day they get 60mph out of this boat somehow with a 23 pitch prop and I’m running a 21..... I think it’s more about my motor being buried really deep. Trimmed all the way up I’ve got zero rooster tail. I look like a pontoon going by

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

No provision for oil temp on that model.

Smartcraft data (especially RPM's) is "dead-on accurate".

Get someone to help you check to make sure you are actually reaching WOT at the engine. I've seen several 150's that were NOT.

Then work on your setup... What "21" are you running? That boat can be made to run quite well without a jackplate, if engine is at correct height, correct prop choice, etc.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    If you would, take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

No provision for oil temp on that model.

Smartcraft data (especially RPM's) is "dead-on accurate".

Get someone to help you check to make sure you are actually reaching WOT at the engine. I've seen several 150's that were NOT.

Then work on your setup... What "21" are you running? That boat can be made to run quite well without a jackplate, if engine is at correct height, correct prop choice, etc.
    Sorry about that Don. Serial # 2b475499. The prop is a 21” tempest plus. The motor is mounted in second hole from top so I can only come up one hole. Best I can tell measuring, I’m 5” prop to pad. 35 psi wot. I just feel like I’m dragging to much water. Zero rooster tail when trimmed all the way up and wot. Had throttle checked it is reaching wot.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would try moving the engine up to the 3rd mounting hole. 4th would likely be too high.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor