Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    JOE54, good eye. That filter is what started my fuel system rebuild. It broke off at the barbed condition while I was running my boat two weeks ago. Now I’m going through as much of the fuels system as I can. That inline filter is going to be removed.

EuropeanAM, thanks. I’ll send you an email now.
    Last edited by eh2000; 02-07-2020 at 08:15 AM.

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

2. Member
    I began to replace the fuel lines going to the VST today after getting the fuel filter and base installed (Thank to EuropeanAM). I didn't get too far before encountering another uh oh moment. The inlet fitting to the VST has me scratching my head because it doesn't have any thread. See pictures below.

I assume this is a significant problem both for this fitting and for the cover of the VST. However, on the off chance that this is perfectly normal, how do I re-install a fitting that doesn't have threads in a way that it won't come out or leak?

The more I think about it I'm guessing that fitting broke when I uninstalled it (lefty loosey). Or was broken while being installed. I think I'm toast.

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Those fittings are press-fit with permanent loctite (preferably the green "press fit", but permanent RED loctite will work).

The fitting needs to be rotated at least 20 degrees while going in to distribute the loctite well, and firmly drive the fitting in with a suitable punch and hammer.

YOU will need to be certain that the fitting is secure. If in doubt: STOP and make different plans.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks EuropeanAM.

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

5. Member
    Alright, I beat that fitting back in like it owed me money, because it does. It's going to sit overnight with a clamp on it while the Permatex does it's thing. Hopefully the surfaces are clean enough for the bond to take place. Not sure how well that is going to hold long term, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I rotated it while beating it in like you said and then when I was done I pumped some fuel through the system with the primer ball. Nothing leaked...except the bottom of the fuel filter. I assume that if the water sensor is no longer hooked up that I will need a different filter or a plug. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by eh2000; 02-14-2020 at 08:24 PM.

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Replacement filters come with a plug in them (you have to remove the plug to install the included sensor).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    EuropeanAM, thanks. I put a wrench to that plug and it tightened up just fine. I ran the engine this afternoon and I no longer have any fuel leaks. The engine starts easy and runs smooth. I appreciate all the help. Now i just gotta get the charging system figured out.

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12